Thinking of going vegetarian...

Bonnie R.
on 11/22/11 12:35 am - Stratford, CT
 OMG! Your doctor's office wants you to keep calories at 600 a day?  That's too few for anyone, but add on our DS and that is going to kill you.  PLEASE up your calorie intake. I think you will find the weight will come off.  Even at 1200 calories a day you are not overdoing it.  You probably need more.  I think your body is in starvation mode!

I am 19 mos out.  I noticed a huge difference in what I was able to consume at about month 17-18.  So hang in there.  Chew well before swallowing when eating and try not to listen to the nutritionists in your surgeon's office--often they are making recommendations on RNY protocol and we are WAY different.

Oh and a crawling weight loss and then a large plummet is very common.  

Elia-B
on 11/22/11 2:21 am
It is???  That is such a relief about the crawl crawl plummets! 

I do think that I might not be getting in enough fat.  I had switched to coconut milk (cartons, not canned) for my protein drinks.  It only has 50 cals per cup but it does have about 5 grams of fat.. but that's not as much as the whole milk I was using prior to trying to trim cals.  Last week when I had salad for several evenings with full fat dressing, I had a nice wt drop.  I wonder if I was responding to that increase in fats.  And one day, I KNOW I was getting in my protein and I'd been having too many carbs (I tend to snack on crackers during the day.. not huge amounts but too much).. and my brain was still screaming that something was missing.  The only thing I could think of was the fat.  Ug.. so hard to get it right!  It's like playing a guessing game.. what does my body need to lose wt....

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 3:53 am - Lancaster, OH
Coconut milk is more carbs than anything.
"Silk" brand (carton) has 1 protein, 5 fats and 7 carbs for plain, 10 carbs if you are using the vanilla.

I'm not sure if you're getting this yet, but you need to focus on keeping the carbs down, not the calories.
Elia-B
on 11/22/11 4:18 am
I've been using So Delicious brand, unsweetened coconut milk.  It's just got 1g of carbs in it - so at least I did do pretty good there.  But!  I think I was doing myself a disservice moving from whole milk in an attempt to cut cals.  I think my body is fat deprived at this point.  I'm getting in the protein.  Getting in too many carbs.  And, I think starving my body for fat - which is amazing to me because I do like my fat!  (on foods, lol)

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 4:43 am - Lancaster, OH
That's great that the So Delicious is so low in carbs!

And, my champion chocolate whey stack is delicious with half and half.  Just sayin'.
Elia-B
on 11/22/11 4:54 am
I haven't tried Champion protein.  Pretty good?  Do they have an egg white version?  I have a sensitivety to casien.  I'm hoping I can continue to handle milk okay but I think the protein concentrate was just too much.  I start getting really congested in my chest. 

provolisa
on 11/22/11 12:42 am - Provo, UT
Eating about 600 cals a day is CRAZY for a DS'er. That sounds like RNY advice. If you eat that many, you would only absorb, like, 12 cals (didn't do the math, LOL!) to live on. No wonder you can't live on that few!

I strongly agree that you need to do more research!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

Elia-B
on 11/22/11 2:23 am
Ya.. I never succeeded in keeping my cals that low.. not since I was able to start getting down more than just a few sips at a time of this or that.  600 cals with our cal restriction does seem extreme and it does feel like they haven't adjusted their scales for DS'er health.....

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 1:02 am
On November 22, 2011 at 8:14 AM Pacific Time, Elia-B wrote:
I have been dipping into the carbs too heavily recently. I discovered I can eat pasta again and I had a "pasta weekend".  I think, through the week at least, I'm probably getting in around 1100 or 1200 cals.  My doc's office wants me to keep it as close as possible to 600 cals / day.  I just can't do it.  I get hungry!!!  My blood sugar drops or I get this ache in my head that screams that I'm missing something - not a craving, but a need of something missed.

I will check out that website.  I had initially used OH's site for tracking my intake.. but I started getting frustrated with it and stopped tracking it.  I will take another go at it.

Things got off track for me when I got on a cheese and olives kick for lunch.  My wt loss slowed way down.  As soon as I stopped that, there was a big jump in wt loss but then it slowed down to a crawl again very soon.  So.. what it has been doing is crawl, crawl, crawl.. fall off a cliff.. crawl, crawl, crawl, crawl....  Any suggestions?  I had thought I was taking in too many cals.  Maybe I am actually taking in too few!!!  I don't know.  Where can I get a reading on my TMR?  Does myfitnesspal provide that?  Thanks for your help!!!   And I feel MUCH better seeing how many cals you're taking in.....  I feel like maybe I'm not just screwing it up b/c I'm not controlling my eating more.  Carbs are a problem for me though.. one I will continue to work on. 
Your Dr.'s office is going to kill you!  This is NOT DS advice!

No wonder you haven't been losing, your body is totally in 'starvation mode'.  Your body is screaming to be fed!!

Try looking at the 'Bites, Vites, and Exercites thread for an idea of how everyone is eating.

I have lost all of my excess weight and the only time my weight loss slowed was when I wasn't eating enough.

Michele
Elia-B
on 11/22/11 2:38 am
So you feel that 1100 to 1200 cals a day is still way too low?  Is there a target # I need to be aiming for?