Thinking of going vegetarian...

Elia-B
on 11/21/11 11:46 pm
Not a bank breaker -- always good to hear!!!! 

teachmid
on 11/22/11 8:20 am - OKC, OK
I'd totally forgotten about the Papya enzyme. Thanks. I went out and bought some this afternoon,
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Frostbite25
on 11/21/11 11:25 pm
 Elia-B 

you mention that these omega oils are expensive then why throw money down the toilet (literally). We do not absorb 80% of oils ingested, they go right out the other end meaning they get flushed down the toilet and end up in a processing plant somewhere. You are spending good money on omega oils and flax seed oil, which will not even be absorbed by your body. I recommend trying different style's of fish (some are less fishy) if you really are that concerned with getting in omega 3's. Out of curiosity why are you so worried about your omega 3's? 

WLS: Total lost 260 lbs - 03/14/11 Duodenal Switch with Dr. Mitchel Roslin
PS: 02/10/14 LBL w/ Anchor cut, Long Thigh Lift, Arm Lift, Breast Lift with Dr. Francisco Sauceda

Dr. Sauceda's Patient Group - Click here to Join

Elia-B
on 11/21/11 11:44 pm
After my most recent labs and the nutritionist followed up with me, she talked about me adding more fish to my diet for the omega's.  I can't recall what triggered that part of the conversation, though.  I can't remember if I happened to ask about it or if there was something off in my labs.  I want to say there was something off in my labs... but I need to call her and verify.  I sort of forgot about that part of the conversation until my hands started getting achy.  It was then that I had an "oh ya!" moment and started making an conscious effort to add in the omega oils.  Once I started doing that, the achiness in my hands deminished and might even be gone.  So.. I took that as a sign that I was on the right track. 

Yes - I agree that getting my omega's via fish instead of the oils would probably be better.  It is what the nutritionist advocated.  Maybe I will make it a grocery shopping night ritual to pick up some fresh fish to fix that night.  I suspect it would taste and do better for me than canned - which I end up trying to doctor a zillion diff way with all kinds of added cals.

Frostbite25
on 11/21/11 11:49 pm, edited 11/21/11 11:50 pm
 Well yes of course fresh fish is 10x better than canned fish :) .... about added calories? I wouldn't really worry about added calories with your DS. 

If your nutritionist recommended omegas off your labs,  the only think I would think of off hand that would trigger that suggestions is your lipid panel. Since evidence is showing that omega3's in the diet can help reduce high triglycerides which are also a risk factor for heart disease and death. I just can't fathom how you have high cholesterol with a DS. 

Good luck with the fresh fish! :) .. I always enjoy it baked in butter!

PS: 02/10/14 LBL w/ Anchor cut, Long Thigh Lift, Arm Lift, Breast Lift with Dr. Francisco Sauceda

Elia-B
on 11/21/11 11:56 pm
Ya.. I was thinking maybe some fresh salmon cooked in a lemon butter.  Yum!  :D

My triglicerides and cholesterol were excellent at 6 months.  The only fat area that needed improvement was my HDL.  It was low.  I'll need to call the nutritionist and revisit the conversation. 

And, I WISH I wasn't having to worry about cals!  My wt loss has slowed to a crawl...  for about the last 3 months...  I'm really concerned that I'm going to have trouble getting all of the rest of my excess wt off.  I've started cutting cals. 

Frostbite25
on 11/22/11 12:01 am
Have you tried www.myfitnesspal.com ? it is a wonderful website that helps you monitor your food intake and keep track of calories. I honestly do not see how you are over doing your caloric intake at 11 months out. Unless you are eating high amounts of refined carbs. You do know that eating too few calories can also slow down your weight loss, I would recommend going on a website that can help you calculate your TMR (total metabolic Rate) and the amount of calories your body needs just to survive and function. From there you can see how many calories you are in taking and then decide if it is too little or too much. I think cutting calories at random is not a healthy choice after the DS. 

For example I ingested 2300 calories yesterday but only absorbed 972. I need 2500 calories just to stay alive, so that is a HUGE deficit. Seeing the numbers in that perspective has helped me understand things a lot better. I recommend you do a little more research on that and you might be surprised that your weight loss could pick up again. 

Elia-B
on 11/22/11 12:14 am
I have been dipping into the carbs too heavily recently. I discovered I can eat pasta again and I had a "pasta weekend".  I think, through the week at least, I'm probably getting in around 1100 or 1200 cals.  My doc's office wants me to keep it as close as possible to 600 cals / day.  I just can't do it.  I get hungry!!!  My blood sugar drops or I get this ache in my head that screams that I'm missing something - not a craving, but a need of something missed.

I will check out that website.  I had initially used OH's site for tracking my intake.. but I started getting frustrated with it and stopped tracking it.  I will take another go at it.

Things got off track for me when I got on a cheese and olives kick for lunch.  My wt loss slowed way down.  As soon as I stopped that, there was a big jump in wt loss but then it slowed down to a crawl again very soon.  So.. what it has been doing is crawl, crawl, crawl.. fall off a cliff.. crawl, crawl, crawl, crawl....  Any suggestions?  I had thought I was taking in too many cals.  Maybe I am actually taking in too few!!!  I don't know.  Where can I get a reading on my TMR?  Does myfitnesspal provide that?  Thanks for your help!!!   And I feel MUCH better seeing how many cals you're taking in.....  I feel like maybe I'm not just screwing it up b/c I'm not controlling my eating more.  Carbs are a problem for me though.. one I will continue to work on. 

Frostbite25
on 11/22/11 12:29 am
 Yes MFP provides TMR calculations! Feel free to friend me and look up my food diary of you wish. My username is mariacanella

Elia-B
on 11/22/11 2:16 am
I wil definitely look you up on there.  Thanks!