Thinking of going vegetarian...

Elia-B
on 11/24/11 10:52 am
 I will start checking out that thread.  

Good luck on your 1 year labs!  That's when I'll be getting my 1 yr labs done as well.  

I am usually the type to do my own thing or an approach that works for me.  I'm usually actually pretty horrible about following medicine routines.  Unless it's an antibiotic, I tend to be very noncompliant with meds.  Having said that, though, I do pretty good about taking my vitamins.  I just wanted to give what they were telling me a chance.  And, I wanted to see how my labs were responding before changing my approach.  I'm going to feel like I'm flying a little blind after the 1 yr labs and suddenly not having labs to work from every 3 months.  i'm going to miss that.  

Elizabeth N.
on 11/25/11 9:52 am - Burlington County, NJ
There is no reason to discontinue getting labs every three months, especially when you clearly have deficiency issues. Get the list of labs from Vitalady and get your PCP to run them.

Elia-B
on 11/25/11 9:33 pm
 I love, love, LOVE this idea!  And, I think my pcp will cooperate.  She's been very supportive and she's interested in learning more about the DS (me as the test dummy) in order to possibly recommend it to some of her other patients.  If I explain to her about wanting more routine labs done since I'm still deficient, I think she'll support me!  I'm so glad you told me that!!!

Elia-B
on 11/25/11 10:16 pm
 Just to follow up again about why I was doing things the way the doc's office was telling me.... In a post a bit above this one I talk about my vit K and what happened when I did things "my way".  I ended up with some pretty high #'s.  It was after that I pulled myself into check and decided to do it the doc's office's way. But...  I'm hearing what you guys are saying about my D.  I agree that the decision is ultimately with me but I still say that I wish the doc's office had taken a more agressive approach with my D as I had wanted to.  I was just giving doing things their way a chance.  But... I'll be taking the driver's wheel in my own hands after my 12 mo labs and I switch things over to my PCP.  I had already planned to switch lab care over to my PCP after my 12 month check up with my wls doc.  I drive 3.5 hours (one way) to my wls doc when my PCP is 10 mins away from where I work.  I wanted to spend the first year working through the wls doc's office though - there is good and bad with that but I do feel more informed by having done it.  

Elizabeth N.
on 11/25/11 10:22 pm - Burlington County, NJ
YIKES. 7 hours on the road AND getting such horrifically WRONG care? The mind boggles.

You need to not just do your own thing, at least not until you KNOW what you should be taking and have the labs to go by. The K is a great example of this. Just throwing some extra at it is not a good approach. You now know that you are more likely (and this is pretty typical for us) to need a steady dose and not a shotgun approach.

Let that be a lesson to you about vitamin compliance in general. "Pretty good" is likely to not stick very well long term if you are generally a pill minimalist. The commitment has to be absolute.

Elia-B
on 11/25/11 10:45 pm
 I agree completely.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.

The cost of vitamins and protein powder i****ting me harder than I thought it would, but I think that it will get better... not the cost per say but my ability to manage it all in.  I'm not actually a pill economizer.  My tendency is to be kind of aggressive about addressing a deficiency.  But the vit K lesson made me rethink that some... hence my prolonged willingness to do it their way on the D.

When I say go it on my own, I don't mean on my own own.. I just mean developing an approach with lots of help and ultimately doing what feels right to me and what's indicated via my lab results.  I mean making informed decisions based on information versus letting the doc's office make all of those determinations for me.  As I've said, I was giving things a year to do it more their way.. I just didn't realize their way was quite so problematic.  In truth, I'm a bit of a research junky.. but I have not done enough research yet to understand all of this stuff.  I will/do definitely need guidance.  

Elia-B
on 11/23/11 2:26 am
Elizabeth N.
on 11/23/11 3:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
FULL FAT cheese cubes (don't waste time on that string cheese crap) and olives are a marvelous DS snack. Try some nuts too if you can stomach them. Roasted soy nuts are an excellent source of low-volume protein, much better than peanuts.

Elia-B
on 11/23/11 11:39 am
Nuts sit beautifully on my stomach.  My favs are pistacchio and macadamia.  Although I was surprised when I checked out the carbs at how high they were... not that they were ubber high.  I just thought they would be ubber low.  I'll check out the soy nuts.  

What's wrong with the string cheese?  Qualty?  

I am real specific to get full fat foods.  Right now I've picked up cheese sticks that are a cheddar and mozarella mix.  This will be my first time trying them.

I might need to be careful about how much dairy I layer into my diet.  Casien, the milk protein, causes congestion in my chest.  Since the surgery, I've been able to really enjoy milk!  I figured it was because of the malabsorption and not getting in a lot of the casien.  But... I think I took it a step too far and I started having problems with it again.  

For weeks I went through a phase where I was eatting cheese slices and almond stuffed olives at work for lunch.  But, that's about the time that my wt loss slowed way way down.  At first I thought it was a stall.. but it lingered.. and lingered.  That was the beginning of me starting to cut cals.  

Elizabeth N.
on 11/23/11 10:47 pm - Burlington County, NJ
String cheese doesn't have enough fat.

Compare protein levels in the various nuts. I don't like pistachios or macademias so I don't know what they have. Almonds have a lot more protein than hazelnuts or pecans or walnuts. That's all I have in my memory bank about nuts :-).

Cheese and almond stuffed olives, YUM YUM YUM. Go back to doing that immediately. Try Asiago cheese with those olives. That would be a lovely combo.