Thinking of going vegetarian...

Elizabeth N.
on 11/25/11 1:48 am - Burlington County, NJ
Listen, you have to think for the long term. What have your recent D and PTH levels been? With all the other crappy service you've gotten from those people, I cannot imagine for a moment that those levels are DS appropriate even now, much less for the long term.

Vitalady has a couple of employees who do the phone sales. They go faster in my experience than ordering online does.

She does not put her rationales in writing on the site because that just might be construed as medical advice, even though it is not. I'm sure she will happily share them with you if you ask her. Her communication style is that of a very knowledgable and experienced person with ADD *large grin*. I spent a goodly amount of time with her and her husband last summer, and can attest that she writes just like she talks. Sometimes it requires a bit of translation/interpretation, with which several of us could help if needed.

Most of us can give you chapter and verse on the rationales behind both the formulations and the dosages she recommends, though, because we do our own research and have figured it out. (This is regardless of whether or not we actually use ALL of the products she recommends. I'm one who doesn't use ALL of them, but I use quite a few. I stopped using oral iron, for example, once it became apparent that infusions had become necessary. No sense in bothering my gut with iron pills any more IMO....But I must hastily interject to mention that I have a super cooperative PCP AND good insurance that covers such stuff.)

You'd really do well to dump the NUT and nurses who are trying to kill you and listen to people who know the DS.

Elia-B
on 11/25/11 4:10 am
 I couldn't find my 9 mo labs but for my 6 mo labs, here's what they were:

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy:  17.7L rg/ml   (17.6 at 3 mo's)
(I vaguely remember that maybe my D went up to 18.5L for my 9 mo labs)

PTH Intact   59 pg/ML  (46 at 3 mo's)

On vitalady's site I saw where she has a packet available that explains more about her approach with the DS.  When I order some vits from her, I'll request the packet.  

Elizabeth N.
on 11/25/11 9:51 am - Burlington County, NJ
TERRIBLE RESULTS!!!! You are leaching bone right now with those lab values.

If I were in your shoes I would go immediately to 100,000 IU of dry D3 (Vitalady's Tender D) daily for a good 8 weeks and then retest. Do not even CONSIDER lowering that dose until your results are at least over 60.

You need to be taking at least 2,000 mg of calcium citrate daily, with magnesium, selenium and potassium to accompany it. And you need more vitamin K than you're taking.

The crap advice you have been getting is showing in those labs.

Elia-B
on 11/25/11 9:58 pm
 I'm convinced.  I'll start on Vitalady's regimine.  And, I'll up my D in the meantime as well while I'm making the transition to her regimine.  I started taking more last night.  I think I took 50 or 60,000 last night.  I've got another bottle arriving latter this week.  I'll up it to prob 100,000 once I get the new bottle in and while I'm waiting to make the transition to vitalady's 50,000 iu D tabs.  

My vit K is good.  I absorb it well but don't retain it.  At 3 months, my doc's office had me start taking Vitalady's Vit K1, 1000 mcg, daily.  Thinking it was not going to absorb well, like the D, I pushed it pretty hard sometimes taking two or three.  The result was that my 6 mo lab results showed vit K way high.

3 mo's      0.16L  ng/mL
6 mo's      2.46H ng/mL

So, between 6 and 9 mo's, they had me stop taking the vit K.  The surprising thing was (at least to me and I think to them as well), by 9 mo labs, my vit K was in the dificient range again.  So, they put me back on the 1,000 mcg a day routine and this time I've been sticking to it instead of sometimes doubling up.  

Bad news is I've let myself run out this week... so I'm guessing it will probably be another week before I get more in.  In the meantime, i suspect that my K is in the normal to normal high range. 

The calcium I take has all the supportive minerals in it including boron.  In addition, I've been taking L-Lysine for which there has been some indiciation that it might help with absorption of calcium.  I stress the "might help" part.  But, it doesn't have potassium or selenium.  I've got a supplement for potassium I can add to the mix, though.  I'll look into the selenium.  I've been taking 1500 to 1800 of calcium a day.  I'll increase it.  I use a combination of Citracal Calcium Citrate with vit D plus Magnesium (& other stuff) and GNC Calcimate Complete.  I've been planning to switch fully to the Citracal because of the fewer and smaller pills though... also because Citracal lists (elemental) after the calcium on their ingredients list and the GNC brand doesn't.  

Oh!  And... I dropped another 1.2 lbs since yesterday.  Yes, the extra cals is a win!!!  This is OFFICIALLY a new LOW for me!!!    189.8 lbs.        

teachmid
on 11/25/11 11:16 am - OKC, OK
Ella,
I agree with Elizabeth. These labs are terrible! It's lots easier to prevent problems than to try to dig yourself out of a hole. I suggest you get copies of all your labs that have been done since surgery, put them on a spread sheet then post them for the lab experts to review.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Elia-B
on 11/25/11 9:34 pm
 I will do that.  I gotta find my 9 month labs.  As soon as I do I'll get them all in a spread sheet and will post them.  Thanks!!!

Ann M.
on 11/26/11 3:12 am - GA
FYI- If you ask Dr. H about Vita Lady's plan he will flat out say that some patients need it. I did not find him personally opposed to her plan.

The nuts may be a different story however. My last and final exchange with them was when I asked if it was healthy for a DSr being on 600 calories a day from protein only and under 15 grams of carbs until goal.  Their response was in this order: blink, smile, umm I don't know.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Elia-B
on 11/26/11 4:25 am
 Wow...  again, I wonder if it's them finding themselves in a situation where they have to be in agreement with the doc's approach.  I'm wondering it her response was the closest way she could come to saying no without actually going against what the doc wants to promote.

As for the vitamins....  it was the nut(s) who were reluctant to be more aggressive in me taking more.  Dr. H had said when I spoke with him that it would be fine if I took as much as 50,000 (I had just gotten done telling him I had increased the dosage on my own to 20K or something).  

Elia-B
on 11/24/11 6:30 am
 Okay.. I found her page on what she recommends for the DS.  I wish she included more information as to her reasoning right there on the page.

The total cost is a bit steep for me at the moment.. but I am at a point when I will be needing more vitamins soon.  So... this would be a good time for me to make the leap.  Like you, I might look at some alternative options for some of the items.  

Are there any of the vitamins from her that you are not pleased with?

teachmid
on 11/24/11 10:25 am - OKC, OK
It sounds like your nutritionist doesn't have a grasp on needs of a DS'er. AND, AGAIN, you don't have to or need to do what she says. It's your body and your life.

There have been a lot of threads previously on the cost of vitamins and how to minimize it. I have been very pleased with everything I've gotten from her. I get my multivit at Walmart and I get powdered calcium through Amazon, but many people just get Citrical. I personally feel that the dry D and A are critical.

My D is still low normal and that's with all my calcium supplementation and at least an hour in the sun without sunscreen all summer, I'll be getting my 1year labs in early December,

Majormom (Gina) starts a daily thread called Vites, Bites and Exercites. She is very knowledgeable on vitamin supplementation and is more than willing to work with you,
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165