Thinking of going vegetarian...

Elia-B
on 11/23/11 11:18 am
I had seen so many people talk about using half and half.  I had just thought they were doing it for the fats.  It was a real ah ha! moment when you mentioned it here in relation to the carbs.  And... I looked it up to see just how many carbs it has.  I don't know how accurate the site I was looking at is but it listed half and half as having just 1g of carbs!!!  YEAH!!!  

Elizabeth N.
on 11/23/11 10:54 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Well, look at your serving size, of course. But by having more fat in the way, perforce you have fewer carbs. So you kill two birds with one stone.

Elia-B
on 11/24/11 5:53 am
 Good point about the serving size.  ... I just looked it up.  Looks like 10 carbs for 1 cup.  Still, that's a a couple of carbs saved.  

Elizabeth N.
on 11/24/11 6:00 am - Burlington County, NJ
Compare heavy cream :-D. Look toward ADDING fat and protein rather than toward counting every single gram of carb in EVERYTHING like that. The half and half is better for you than the skim milk because a) it has more of what you need and b) it will give your protein drink more robustness and therefore food satisfaction.

Elia-B
on 11/25/11 12:15 am
 You're right!  Heavy whipping cream has 3 grams/Cup of carbs in it!   Of course... I know a person can go to far over into the fat side of things.  I'll need to experiment to find that magic range for me that gives me optimum wt loss.  I'm currently thinking that adding that to my morning coffee drink would be fine.  

Valerie G.
on 11/22/11 2:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 If you think you can swing it, go right ahead.  i pushed myself to tolerate meats just so I didn't have to depend on the shakes, which I consider completely intolerable.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Elia-B
on 11/22/11 2:42 am
I discovered Jay Robb's protein powder and actually actively like it.... otherwise I don't know what I would be doing to get in all the protein!  Veggies that have been well cooked sit nice on my stomach and are more enjoyable for me to eat.  Dense proteins have begun to feel more and more like a chore.  Thanks for your support!

Valerie G.
on 11/22/11 3:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 If that's the main reason you're giving up on meats, try some different preparation.  

Slow cooking makes a huge difference with meats.  With pork chops, soak in a brine before cooking.  With chicken, you can brine, but pound out breasts to about 1/4-1/2 inch before cooking to break up the fibers, or ditch them and go for thighs instead, which are much more tender to begin with.  Add gravy to as much as you can....sauces too, which will both give you a boost in fat, flavor, and digestability.  

Valerie
DS 2005

Elia-B
on 11/22/11 4:06 am
I really enjoy the idea of cooking a nice, juicy pork roast... and I enjoy about one serving of it and then just don't want it anymore.  I end up giving the rest away.  It sudenly become unpalitable for me.. like, blahhhh.  Hopefully that will go away in time and I can once again enjoy a good roast. 

As for chicken, what I've tended to do is buy chicken thighs and cook them in the oven and then bone them, leaving me with all kinds of wonderful, dark, juicy chicken meat.  But.. maybe I OD'ed on it.  And, again.. I was just not getting in enough of it to keep me on track with my protein needs and it was feeling more and more like a chore. 

If I'm hearing people right, my ability to feel good on dense proteins will get better somewhere out beyond the one year mark.  I am looking forward to it!!!

Valerie G.
on 11/22/11 5:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

That's the story of my life.  I make things with plans for what I'm going to turn the leftovers into.  Once it's something brand new, it's not leftovers anymore (which I can't eat either)

Valerie
DS 2005