Thinking of going vegetarian...

Elia-B
on 11/21/11 9:27 pm
I'm thinking of going (mostly) vegetarian using protein drinks as my primary source of protein and then focusing on veggies for my food-food.  A big part of this thought is because I don't like the heavy way that solid proteins sit on my stomach.  I can't eat much of them and they sit quite hard.  And, I do like veggie's.  It's my thought that having plenty of veggies in my diet will be heatlhier, too, and will provide additional nutrition.  This is all said with the plan that I'll be getting in my needed protein (currently at about 100 g/day) via drinks - which is how I'm getting it in more and more already.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions on this?

Bonnie R.
on 11/21/11 10:31 pm - Stratford, CT
Perhaps making sure to incorporate cheese, eggs and other proteins may be a better idea than cutting out animal protein all together.  There are certain dense proteins I stay away from too (such as pork chops) because of they way it sits in my stomach, but that doesn't mean I'd go vegetarian.  Given our gut rearrangement, I'm not sure that is the most sound idea.  Also, the amount of nutrients you are actually absorbing from the veggies is not enough that you can call it "healthier."  Plus, protein keeps us fuller, longer, another way to help aid our weight loss. And not sure if were thinking you could forgo all the vites for the veggies, but that's definitely not the case.
Elia-B
on 11/21/11 10:54 pm
Oh no... I would definitely contiue with my vitamin regimen as is or as indicated needed by my labs.  I have been doing salads in the evenings some times and I've been adding Flax Seed oil to the salad for the Omega 3's.  I haven't been good about keeping up with my Omega's.  I figured the vegetables would provide some nutrition (although not as much as before surgery) and also thought the roughage (sp?) would be healthier on my intestines.  I am thinking of boiling some eggs and adding that to the salad.  ..  I have been eating too much and my wt loss has slowed down.  Sticking with heavy proteins doesn't seem to help me.  I get frustrated at the quantity I can eat and end up eatting other things I shouldn't.  And, regardless, I'm failing to get in enough protein with the solid proteins (not just because I end up eating other stuff).  With a salad, I can have a huge bowl of greens and other things which don't impact me much calorically.  So.. I'm also hoping it will help with wt loss. 

Bonnie R.
on 11/21/11 11:04 pm - Stratford, CT
 OH!  So this makes more sense now...I too felt frustrated with how little I could eat.  The need for my mouth to be full constantly did not go away with surgery.  So some of it is behavioral.  The flax seed oil you are eating is just about pointless. We only absorb about 20% of fat (any type of oil).  In my opinion you are wasting your money on flax seed oil.  Just double checking that your ADEK are all Dry, if it doesn't say Dry on the label, it means it is oil based and you are not absorbing enough.

Reading this really makes me think there is something else at work here.  Have a salad WITH your dinner.  Salad crunches up to nothing so you can happily munch along after you've had some chicken or fish.  Also, try dark meat chicken, I find it easier to get down.  

Also, most of us cannot eat enough protein.  Many of us suppliment with protein shakes--you are not alone in not being able to chew all the protein you would need in a day.

Good luck.
Elia-B
on 11/21/11 11:15 pm
I've done the dark meat chicken but got tired of it.  I've given it a break for awhile. Maybe it's time for me to revisit it. 

Yes..  DEFINITELY some behavioral stuff going on.  UG...  As I can eat more, my food addiction is starting to rear it's ugly head a bit more. 

With the Omega's, I am suppose to get them in.  The preferred way via my nutritionist is through fish... but I haven't been doing fish very well as a staple.  Just too fishy for me right now, lol.  And, recently, I've started noticing my hand joints get a little achy.  I started adding in some flavored omega oil (w/ 3, 6, & 9) but it's expensive.  So, I've also started adding some Flax Seed for the Omega 3's because I think it would be a little more economical.  The good news is that the achiness in my hand joints has gone away!!!  Yeah!!!  And, focusing on the oils is relatively recent so I'm thinking I am responding to the addition.

Kayla B.
on 11/21/11 10:56 pm - Austin, TX
In the absence of a strong moral desire to not eat animals, I don't really see a need for you to "go vegetarian" at the time.

I say, just put meat on the back burner for awhile and avoid the foods you don't like and try again later.  You are not even 1 year out, things will change, I promise.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Elia-B
on 11/21/11 11:10 pm
Wow...  it doesn't help put it in perspective when you point out that I haven't even had my DS for a year now.  lol  I feel like I've had it forever!  I wasn't sure how much better the solid proteins issue would get.  I was becoming resigned to the idea that they would forever feel heavy and uncomfortable on my stomach.  But..  that this IS still new is something for me to definitely keep in mind.  Thank you.

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 11:26 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
When I was first sleeved and went to solids, things sat heavy in my tum and I could feel my digestion happening.  I was not keen on it, it did not hurt but it was something I would prefer to not feel, if I did not have to.

Chewing papaya enzymes with every feeding helped me to not feel the churn happening in my belly, I wonder if that might also be helpful for you?  You can get them over the counter in the vitamin and mineral section of most stores, even Wal-Marjet.  They are that exotic :]

Good luck friend.
Elia-B
on 11/21/11 11:39 pm
I don't feel the churn... they just sort of sit heavy on my stomach like a lump of cement for awhile.  There's just not much enjoyment in it for me since I it takes only a few bits before I get that sitting hard feeling on my stomach.  I will keep the papaya enzyme in mind, though.  It would be interesting to experiment with it to see if it does help me.  Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 11:42 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
And its like a 4 buck investment.  :}  So, I would bet you might find it helpful, but it ought not be a bank breaker!