so many questions so many doubts

stromgardgirl
on 11/21/11 11:10 am
I have been looking on here a lot lately. I guess a little back story is required. Almost a year ago I took a huge step (for me) and had a sleeve done. Needless to say it was a complete failure. I have followed the rules and still have only lost about 30lb. I have done everything I can think of to find out why I'm not losing the weight, and everything comes back peachy and that I'm as healthy as can be. I have an appt next Wed with a new dr to see what he says. The only other option I would consider is DS since there is no dumping and the fact that I can still live. The vitamin regimen scares me but I can adapt. Not sure what I'm looking for maybe reassurance that I'm not a failure and that Ds will work for me.

honeybadger 11
on 11/21/11 12:48 pm - FL
Hey at least you went with a surgery that is the first step of the DS. Many of us revisions picked the band and ended up in agony over it. Or RNY.

Im only 12 days out but i will tell you, yes the vitamins are scary...im not even close to being on the full schedule yet and they scare me. BUT i have a system that  i think will work and if it doesn't i will find something that will.

To me accepting the regiment, food, vits, bowel changes, etc, are what are necessary to move forward. Educated, read, make sure you pick a qualified surgeon....dsfact.com has that info.

The DS will work for you, there are people on this board who have had the DS in 2 parts and are doing well.

I wish you well in your journey:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

MajorMom
on 11/21/11 6:49 pm - VA
My metabolism was totally broke before my DS. I don't think the sleeve alone would have worked for me either. Do check out ww.dsfacts.com for a good DS surgeon and make an appointment. I don't recognize yours as a DS surgeon, so don't let him fool you into anything you don't want because he wants to keep your business. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

airbender
on 11/21/11 7:12 pm
first you are not a failure.  the DS should not be taken lightly, malabsorption carries a lot of responsibilities.  compliance is important.  No one can reassure you that the DS will "work" for you as there are no absolutes in medicine and anyone can eat  their way around the DS as you can eat your way around any WLS.  If you consume too many carbs (and especially 100% absorbed simple carbs)  Has your dr checked your thyroid to make sure you are not a hypo, or hashi's or adrenal fatigue?  The DS is a fantastic surgery but requires a compliant, educated patient, who is willing to take supplements and follow up blood work for the rest of their life.  good luck on your journey... 
larra
on 11/21/11 11:43 pm - bay area, CA
You're not the first sleeve patient we've seen looking into the DS, and you won't be the last. A purely restrictive wls just isn't going to work for everyone. The only real question is just how high the longterm failure rate will be. Even for the people who experience initial success, the sleeve does stretch over time, and while some people will be able to make the necessary dietary  restrictions and exercise requirements to sustain longterm success, I suspect many won't.
      The vitamin and protein requirements of the DS must be taken seriously, but there is no need to be afraid of them. Once you get into a routine with the vitamins, it's really very easy - important, but easy. And protein is good! There are many great protein options, and most of us don't rely on protein drinks or any of that other stuff after the initial recovery. Given that you already have your sleeve, you may not need them for long at all. Why not enjoy tasty real food protein? That's the beauty of the DS, you can eat like a normal person, though in smaller amounts, enjoy your meals without guilt, and be healthy.
      For where you are (roughly) I would recommend Dr. Stewart. He does many DS's, and also revisions of prior wls to the DS, though not RNY to DS revisions. We have many of his patients here and they all speak well of him. Don't waste your time with someone who doesn't do the DS and who is going to blame you for your lack of success with the sleeve.
    Best of luck!

Larra
stromgardgirl
on 11/22/11 8:14 am
To answer several questions in one post. The dr that is listed int he one that did my sleeve. I tried to take it off, but for some reason it won't let me. I have went to the endocrinologist, pcp, dietician, nutritionist, and surgeon and have had so many tests done it's not funny. Everything is fine on all the tests. My appt is with Dr. Provost. He was recommended to me,b ut I might look into Dr. Stewart if the need arises. I have done lots of research and that is why I have decided if I do anyting that the DS it will be.

Victorious_one
on 11/22/11 9:20 am - South Central, PA

You are not a failure:  your weight loss surgery is.

The DS works for the overwhelming majority of people.  There are a few who have complications that are beyond their/our control (I've had some), and have had to get their DS's taken down or live with the challenges.  There are others who have been downright noncompliant with vitamins, blood work, protein intake, etc. and the surgery has not been successful for them.

For the rest of the folks in the middle, the DS works great!  People can eat normally, are able to get off most if not all (or more than all) of their excess weight, and keep it off long term.  A recent post showed that many people who are 3-4 years out have not had regain issues.

I would encourage you to read the DSFacts website in detail if you haven't; and go back six months in posts on this board and read those, too (if you haven't).  You'll get an idea of people's challenges, complications, questions, etc. and get a feel for what it's like to live with the DS.  Also, you may want to read the revision board here on OH (if you haven't already).  You'll see that many people are looking to revise to a DS, but hardly anyone is looking to revise away from one.

Remember that revision patients tend to lose weight more slowly that virgin DSers, and they tend to lose less of their excess weight.  So, if you do get a full DS, be patient with yourself.

My best to you!  I hope everything works out well for you.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers