3 weeks post op... and the newbie questions begin

Elizabeth N.
on 11/21/11 7:33 am - Burlington County, NJ
Don't be in such a hurry with all those pills. Give yourself more time to heal. The only thing you REALLY need at this point is hydration. Focus on getting in at least two liters per day, preferably three, of whatever non-arby liquids you can stand.

If you can't get in two liters, you're getting dehydrated and could very likely use some IV fluids.

Kingy
on 11/21/11 12:10 pm - Hobart, Australia
Thanks, I fear I have been neglecting my fluids.  Have now filled a water bottle and am carrying it around with me. 

HeatherLynn
on 11/21/11 8:56 am - TX
 Being a newbie, this was helpful. Thanks.
elixir
on 11/21/11 9:53 am - MI
I took a Celebrate chewable Daily-ADEK and a chewable iron with ****il I was six weeks out.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 10:31 am
Kingy
on 11/21/11 12:05 pm - Hobart, Australia
Hi Eloisie,

That is indeed my Harry, unfortunately he is no longer with us, but I still have Nibbles my dutch dwarf bunny.

Kingy

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 3:48 pm - San Jose, CA
OK, some people aren't going to like what I have to say, because I am a religious minimalist where vites are concerned.  I am also a scientist, and possibly overly confident of my own assessment (AKA "beliefs").

1) I could NOT force a vitamin or calcium down my throat for THREE months.  It closed up just THINKING of swallowing a pill.  At three months, I had to grab myself up by the scruff of the neck and get started, because I was scaring myself.  Nothing bad happened - we have quite a bit of vitamin stores, especially if you were a good girl and took your vites in the weeks leading up to surgery.

2) Rabkin's program was minimalist - take the stuff you KNOW you're going to need, and test; only add if your labs show you need stuff.  I started out on 1000-1200 mg calcium citrate, one prenatal and (at my own behest) vitamin C.  And a probiotic twice a day.  That's it.  My extensive labs stayed good. 

3) At 4 years out, I started needing zinc. 50 mg once a day (at 6 years, it got bumped up to 50 mg twice a day).  At 5 years, I started taking iron.  However, after a year of trying to get my ferritin up, with no luck and gut issues from oral iron (two different forms), I switched to iron infusions - much easier.  At 5 years, I started taking vitamin D3 too, which DOES work.  Last year, at 7 years out, I added some K1 - started out 7 days a week, quickly had to cut back to 3 times/week.

4) PERSONALLY, in my opinion, (caveat emptor! you get what you pay for!) unless your pre-op values showed a problem, it seems to me that you are committing overkill.  I would cut back on the A, E and K; the B12; the copper; and maybe the Mg (my calcium has Mg in it).  And why so much zinc?  Again, my comments are based on MY lab values, not yours, but apparently I got plenty of what I needed from food, even in my first year.

But that's between you and your PCP.  Remember, if you are taking excess of mos****er soluble vitamins, you are just creating very expensive pee.  Fat soluble - expensive poo.

My opinion is not shared by some - just to be abundantly clear.