Emotionally dealing with the DS

bdocker
on 11/21/11 3:22 am
Actually I don't think I had ever really considered therapy before - but because several DSers have said therapy is a huge help I am currently trying to find someone to go to. I figure if I have to work on so many other things for several months I should get my head in the right place too. You guys just keep reaffirming everything my mind has said for years.

You are all brave and you keep trudging forward like soldiers trying to help the wounded along the way.

I can't imagine a smaller me. I don't know that anyone who's been big forever can ever imagine a smaller version of themselves. It definitely makes you feel vulnerable.

Bren
Lori F.
on 11/21/11 3:25 am - Chula Vista, CA
Thanks for this post. We all need to hear it. I started with a new psych two weeks ago, but she asked me if "obese" was the correct term to describe my condition. Maybe I need a new one...
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 7:47 pm - Beverly, NJ
 Well it depends.  How do you like her?  Are you comfortable talking to her?  Does she seem knowledgeable at all?  Do you get along?  Maybe she could use a well informed patient to edumicate her a bit :)  

Congrats on looking into therapy though.  It's hard to get the ball rolling on it because it means eventually confronting some of our biggest fears.  If you're not comfortable with her finnd a new one now.  Good luck!!!  *hugs*
goodkel
on 11/21/11 6:07 am
You are an inspiration for those struggling with the psychological and emotional issues. You are a poster child for handling it successfully.

And to address something else you brought up, this is what 4 years out looks like. I'm wearing jeans and a light sweater under that jumpsuit and, yes, I was able to climb into the race car through the tiny window. At Langley Speedway.

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 7:49 pm - Beverly, NJ
 Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

My DS has made me a little nuttier but I'm trying to hang in there lol

btw: You look freaking fantastic!  A race car sounds like fun!!! Damn I can't wait to be where you are!  Thanks for such an awesome inspiration!!!

goodkel
on 11/22/11 1:21 am
Oh you'll get here. Just look at how far you've come already. It took me every minute of my 24 month window to lose all the weight, but off it came.

The car racing was a blast. I had given it (one of those Groupon-like deals) to my bff for Christmas last year and she chose to take me. I have to tell you, I felt like the Michelin Man in those bulky layers and so was delightfully surprised by how thin I look in those pictures.

Your day will come.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

annaleigh1979
on 11/21/11 7:49 am
I am giving a presentation on the emotional issues related to wls/weight loss at my surgeon's support group in January. I haven't written a word of it yet, but many of the topics I want to address are ones you're going through.

Four months post-op was right around when I started losing my sh*t. My emotions were all over the place and the attention I was receiving was overwhelming. Changes happened faster than I could keep up with. My head was spinning.

Somehow, I managed to hold it together, despite the lack of therapy. Thank God you're getting some (and have been as a pre-op as well).

You're an emotionally intelligent person, that much I could always tell from your posts. That will serve you well as a kick-ass DS-er. I wish you strength and good luck through the rest of your journey. I found all of these issues easier to deal with as time went on. At almost two years out, the DS and its accessories are a much smaller part of my pretty awesome life. :)

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 7:52 pm - Beverly, NJ
 Thank you sooo much!  Replies like those I have gotten like yours is why I love OH so much.  It's hard for people in my daily life to understand why we deal with our isues and why we deal with them the way we do.  It's not easy to find someone in RL who can reassure you that things will even out and get better because they've never been there.  

Thanks so much again *hugs*