4 Month Update

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 6:44 am - Beverly, NJ
 HI!!!!!!  
I've been away for entirely too long.  
Now that I've lost over 100lbs I can't stand to sit at the computer too long.  I feel WONDERFUL!  I feel FREE!  The best part?  I'm only 4 months out!  I stillhave plenty of weight to lose.  I still have years of feeling FANTASTIC!

As of this morning here are my stats:
Highest Weight: 379
Surgery Weight: 360
Current Weight: 258

I have very few complaints and all of them are getting better.

1.  I lost a lot of hair but I'm finally starting to see less and less coming out.  Thank goodness I started with a LOT of hair.  If I do end up losing more than this I see some fun wigs in my future.  :)

2.  The hemorrhoids..... I just had surgery to remove them a week and a half ago.  I have always been prone to them so I was expecting them.

3.  I'm still having a hard time getting down my vites.  My PCP (bless her little soul) has been researching this site and a list of others that I gave her as well as a copy of all the lab information I could find and she is keeping a close eye on my levels.  Some are low but not drastically.  As time goes on I'm able to swallow them better and better.  Dina McBride has also been a HUGE help in this. :)  More than anything it's because I have a hard time staying hydrated and all I drink is water.  I drink about a gallon and a half a day.  

4.  Dr. Greenbaum swears I'm losing weight too fast but I feel so fantastic that I don't see why.  I know he tells most of his patients that and I know this honeymoon phase will be over faster than I want it too so I'm just letting my body do it's thing.  

Thats it :)  I'll update with pictures in a few days.  I miss you guys!  How is everyone?!
orangecrushed
on 11/20/11 7:06 am - Triad, NC
Wow, way to go!  I'm glad to hear that life is going well for you.  I'm so glad that you've posted an update.  I wondered how you were doing, and it sounds like you're out living life!  That's fantastic news!  Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Keep on rockin' that DS!
determineddanni
on 11/20/11 7:23 am
I am so glad to hear your doing great and you lost 100 lbs!! wow! way to go! keep it up
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 8:37 am - Beverly, NJ
Thanks gals I LOVE my DS!!!!!!!! I love the way I eat now, I love the way I feel, I love everything about it! I could probably go without the saggy skin but It's better than the rolls I had I'll take butterfly wings over Michelin tires any day!!!!!
NoMore B.
on 11/20/11 9:42 am
Awesome post!
And great to see you back here.  

I read more than a few people say that Dr G told them their weight loss was quick.  I would lose as much as you can and not worry about it unless you go too low.   
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 9:53 am - Beverly, NJ

Dr G seems to be kinda famous for this from what I hear.  He actually gave me an enzyme to take at my 3 month check up.  It's collecting dust right now in my cupboard.  If I didn't feel so freakin fantastic I would agree that maybe it's coming off tooo fast but I feel so awesome that I don't want to slow **** down right now.  Plus I've read from other vets that while I'm losing like crazy now it could change at a moments notice and could struggle to meet goal.  Honestly I'm at the point where even if I didn't lose a single lb more I feel so great that I could scream.  Although those extra inches coming off would look fantastic in the mirror.  

One thing I'm finding that is simply freakin amazing is the inches that are coming off.  I weigh everyday because it feels like a science experiment.  But even when I stayed the same for two weeks it didn't bother me one bit because the inches that came off were CRAZY!  I went from a size 30 to a size 20 in four freakin months.  Did I say I love my DS yet? lol
newyorkbitch
on 11/20/11 10:26 am
I know it's very exciting and that you are on a high right now...but listen and listen well:

You. Must. Get. On. Top. Of. Your. Vitamins.

You. Not your doctor.. You. Now.
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 10:39 am, edited 11/20/11 10:41 am - Beverly, NJ
 I am on top of them.  

No matter how much gagging I end up doing, no matter how much of a struggle it is, I faithfully (5 times a day) sit down with them and chug them down (well try to anyway).  I take as many chewables as I can stand (sometimes they bother me more).  I crush, I hide and I get creative.  Just because I sit down with them and try doesnt mean I'm able to get them all down though.  Some days I can, some days I can't.  I'm not sick. I don't feel tired and I'm pretty good at reading my body.  Am I low in some things?  A tiny bit, but no where near where I would be if I wasn't on top of them.

It's not just my vites.  Dr. G is thinking that I might need to have something expanded? He wants to see how I'm handling them at 6 months.  I gag on food too even if I chew it good.  Thick drinks?  forget about it.  The only think I seem to be able to get down good is water but it has to be the right temp.  At this point we think there is a small chance it might be more of a complication than it is anything else.  Although he said it's an easy fix if thats what it is. 

I might be a newbie but I'm a geek, I researched my DS almost more than I did the pregnancy of my son.  Plus I have EN who made sure that if I wasn't reading enough she would hunt me down and beat me.  I've read the horror stories of not keeping on top of your vites.  I refuse to be one of those post-ops who didn't fully commit to every aspect of their DS.
newyorkbitch
on 11/20/11 10:47 am
What is this "something" that the surgeon might want to expand? What does he suspect the problem is? What testing have you had done to confirm his suspicions?

What specifically is this "easy fix" he has mentioned?

You need to fully and thoroughly understand all of this.
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 10:55 am - Beverly, NJ
 He said that my esophagus  could be narrow.  He will send me for an endoscopy.  He said to fix it would require not much more than a tube or a small balloon to gently stretch it.  There are also exercises and therapy I can try.  I do understand this.  It's something I've looked up, researched and asked plenty of questions about.  I will be seeing a speech therapist to confirm and help with treatment if this is the case.

I do also understand that there are plenty of newbies and even post ops who know squat about the DS and their medical issues.  Please don't think of me as though I am one of them.  Not only do I fully know about what is and could go on with me I am also perfectly capable of research and making sure that the right doctors are doing what they need to do.  I am not one of the newbies you need to badger.

Since you seem to be unable to comprehend of something like this here's a link:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/difficulty-swallowing/DS005 23/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs