Surgery Date Dec. 12th

-Amanda-
on 11/20/11 6:26 am
ok, I wanted to ask .Does the DS drive u crazy sometimes  with all the things u have to remember or
does it make ur life difficult trying to stay on track with Protien, vits? im really wanting to enjoy life and not really wanting to spend a huge amount of time on thinking what i ate today or what i need to, i mean i can handle vitamins no problem . I have been on diet after diet and Iam really sick of them. This sounds like a protien diet.  Just asking. Thanks for ur feed back.
MajorMom
on 11/20/11 7:13 am - VA
I stay in a rut so I don't have to think about stuff too much. At first it's a pain and you have to keep experimenting to see what works best for you but once you find things, just stick with them. I sort vitamins once a week, some folks sort them for the month. I lay everything out the night before for protein coffee. DH makes our Greek yogurt....we just follow the program and prep the day before.

Hang in there.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

orangecrushed
on 11/20/11 8:43 am - Triad, NC
Heya,
Yep, you will be on a high protein "diet" for the rest of your life.  But, there's no surgery that doesn't require you to adjust your eating habits in some way.  It's up to you to decide which one of the surgery guidelines you can live with best.

The reason that it's high on protein, low on carbs, is that due to your new gut configuration... you will absorb sugars and simple carbs that you consume.  You have to eat mostly protein, because some of that is malabsorbed.  Not to mention, the protein takes longer to digest, so you feel full longer.  You malabsorb ~80% of the fat you consume.  So, that's a bonus.

I'm sure that it may get slightly annoying to avoid breads and sugars after a while... but you can enduldge on that stuff OCCASIONALLY, and be just fine.

Hope you make an informed decision on which surgery works best for you.  The Bites and Vites threads are helpful to see what the typical diet may consist of, and now people are also posting their planned meals for the night.  To be honest, it looks like the easiest part of this whole thing!  :)

Who will your surgeon be?  I'll be having my surgery 3 days ahead of you. 

Nic
-Amanda-
on 11/20/11 11:42 am
 Hi Nic, 
My surgeon is Dr. Engstrand from milwaukee.
    who is yours ?  thats awesome,three days before..
I will have to keep tabs on you. sure it helps to have someone to talk with that knows what ur going through.
NoMore B.
on 11/20/11 8:58 am
 In the beginning, yes.  For me it did.  It was a top priority every day to sort out protein and vitamins.  I tracked it every day.

But over time, it just becomes second nature.  For me, I know that I have one double scoop protein shake a day, leaving me about 50-75 g of protein to get in on my own.  As long as I have a protein based meal for my three meals, it's no problem.  So no, I dont necessarily count, but I follow simple guidelines.  If I dont have a protein based meal, say for instance I indulge in pancakes for breakfast - well that means another protein shake to trade off.  It works for me now and I really dont think too much about it.

I know many other people that dont do shakes at all this far out.  I do them because I have a ton of restriction and I'd eat all day if I had to eat my protein.  (not a bad thing, some days I do that, too)
-Amanda-
on 11/20/11 11:49 am
 Are the protien shakes exspensive? 
I do believe one person told me that after this surgery it was easier for her to avoid carbs. since ur restricted so much does it cause gerd?
Thanks for all the replies.