Our post surgery update

dustydeer
on 11/20/11 12:40 am, edited 11/20/11 12:40 am
What everyone else said with a few additions. ((hugs))

Why are you taking toradol on a freshly cut sleeve? YIKES! I'd be puking too. Didn't they give you narcs for pain? Why are your phengrans in the form of pills? ugh.
Consuming laxatives much less multiple ones would make me nauseous.
(I am asking these things for you to ask them btw...not you)

You and your husband may have had the same surgery, but that's where it ends from this point on. You'll be annoyed more often than not.

I couldn't lay but semi-flat, sorta kinda on my side, in a recliner with lots of pillow props for a long time.

The wanting to puke at the thought of food is normal.

After you get hydrated, re-read this and remember to go easy on yourself. IT WILL GET BETTER and you'll be a proud owner of a DS. It just takes time.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

Renee2007
on 11/20/11 2:10 am - Central, FL
 Try lots of different fluids and at different temps. My lifesavers in the first few days post-op were peppermint tea.....watered down cranberry juice....G2 and sugar free fruit punch. I also did really well with chicken broth. Just keep sipping all day long. Food and vites will come in time....for now it's imperative to stay hydrated!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Lori F.
on 11/20/11 2:36 am - Chula Vista, CA
Feel better!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
raven81
on 11/20/11 3:52 am - Bloomington, IL
It gets better.  You have had some good suggestions so far.  You def. need some fluids in you.  And nothing in, nothing out.  The more laxatives and suppositories you take without taking in fluids the more dehydrated you are making yourself, sugar.

You rest if you need to.  If you husband is feeling well enough to take care of your child- let him.  Early out I remember the temperature of things was a weird thing for me.  Warm peppermint tea worked for me.  But not room temp or cold.  Warm things seem to work well for me.  You could see if the temperature of things makes a difference?

I hope you feel better soon, hon.
www.geekmomblog.com -My Mom blog were I talk about my journey through weight loss & weight loss surgery, my kids, cupcakes, Star Wars & pretty much everything!         
M. Miller
on 11/20/11 5:48 am
 Aww..huggs Heather.  I have been  thinking about yout two.  I have no advice since I have not lived it..but will continue to keep you in our prayers.

Shona
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 7:25 pm
You've gotten lots of good advice so far, but I wanted to add....are you taking your PPI (proton pump inhibitor)? Prilosec, Prevacid...something?  I know, for me, I HAD to take it, or the nausea would set in big time!
southernlady5464
on 11/20/11 9:11 pm
Heather, it will get better...

I had a rougher time than my dh so I know a little of how frustrating that is. It's hard enough when you see posts from strangers saying how easy they had it, but to see your spouse go thru it easily (at least now), it brings it home.

I had another thought...you are making your shakes with milk...it could be that you have developed lactose intolerance.

I drank whole milk all my life...right after I got home after surgery, I made a protein shake with milk...Good Lord Almighty, I was miserable! I STILL have issues with milk...but thanks to a lactaid pill EVERY day and drinking lactaid whole milk, I do fine.

Listen to the vets...they've seen it all.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135