Our post surgery update

HeatherLynn
on 11/19/11 10:33 pm - TX
Well, here I am post surgery day 7. I am absolutely miserable. It almost seems like I am getting worse, not better (in many ways). My nausea is pretty consistant and the thought of putting anything in my mouth makes me want to barf. However, yesterday was the first day I got my fluids in and I got one protein shake (made with milk) down. I also ate two bites of applesauce. This morning I woke up, and thre up (first time since surgery) and have thrown up eveytime I try to sip water. I did manage to get a phengran down and keep it down, yet I am still nauseated. I am also constipated despite multiple suppositories, laxative pills, and walking. (Sorry, that may be TMI) I still have pain, and am taking toradol for that. I cannot lay flat. I would say I am having a severe case of buyers remorse and wondering what I was thinking. :(

Now, my husband is another story...he had a rougher go of things at first, but he is doing wonderfully now. He is basically pain free. He has bowel movements reguarly and zero nausea. He can lay flat and bed at the waist. He wants to take our son to the park. I just want to go into a coma and sleep until I am better.

I don't know how in the world I am going to do what I am supposed to with the protien, water, and such when it is all I can do to get the fluids and one shake in. I will keep working to build on it, but honestly I am scared.

I had no idea it would be this rough. I am such a sunny, happy, and optimistic person...typically. This has knocked me down and thrown  me for a loop. I spend a lot of my time crying.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/19/11 10:41 pm - Burlington County, NJ
***huggles****

1. You are dehydrated. Go get a couple bags of IV fluids and you will feel like a new woman. Do it NOW rather than to wait till Monday, because by Monday you might be in a serious crisis. Go to the ER of the hospital where you had surgery, of course. Get nausea meds in that IV. I say again: DO. NOT. DELAY. DOING. THIS. Understood? Call a cab and GO NOW.

2. You have consumed basically NOTHING since surgery. Of course nothing is coming out.

3. Go get some nausea med suppositories.

4. NO MILK FERGAWDSAKES!!!! Almost everyone gets sick on milk that early out.

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 10:42 pm
pycca
on 11/19/11 11:01 pm, edited 11/19/11 11:02 pm - Haslet, TX
((((Huggs!!!))))

It WILL get better!

Now , I know what they tell you,...... I was there at one time too LOL, .... but everyone has to find what is good for each  of us,,, some of us have to just be more patient... sorry,,,

try lukewarm liquids, ginger tea, just keep sipping,, ANYTHING !! 

if you have been doing the nausea for 7 days,,, it still can be dehydration.... food, pills and even protein are not as important as FLUID !! 

if you don't you will  need to go to ER for IV Fluids !!!

Yes the thought of putting food  and wanting to barf is normal, I was like that for 3 to 5 months,,,
Some of us did not try to push protein till about 4 to 6 weeks even... if you can good, but even a bite or two of scrambled egg, or a teaspoon of cool yogurt  if it stays down, is better than barfing it back ! LOL

Applesauce has sugar,, I could not do any fruit,  thru it up, I NEVER use milk,,, only heavy whipping cream, added it to my tea, like the British do,, helped with constipation.. still does,,, it is all I make my protein drinks with,,   stay sway from milk !!!  bad bad bad.
you need to be sipping every  "2" mins,, of something,,  fluid ...Popsicles, tea, Gatorade, diluted, I used the rain flavors, and still thinned it down with more water.

Hang in there,,, it will get better!!  for some reason,, guys do seem to not have as much icky as ladies !! LOL 

Deb

pktwatch
on 11/19/11 11:02 pm
Listen to the vets, it will get better.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

prettypixels
on 11/19/11 11:12 pm
Totally agree with Elizabeth, if you are that queasy you are probably dehydrated. Go get some fluids and have them add the anti-nausea meds to the mix and you will feel better. You don't have to feel this way!
prettypixels
on 11/19/11 11:14 pm
FWIW I do not recommend scrambled eggs if you are queasy. LOTS of people have trouble with them early out (I am one) and for a while post-op. Maybe eggs over medium with soft yolks or something. Soft-boiled eggs.

I hope you feel better soon!
Jody W.
on 11/19/11 11:33 pm - Windsor, CT
Over 3 months out and I still can not do scrambled eggs...

Please listen to the Vets and head to the ER.... Dehydration is real!
Good luck!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

NoMore B.
on 11/20/11 12:04 am
 EXACTLY what Elizabeth said....word for word.

You have to consume AT LEAST 64oz + every day of flluids.  If you get behind, there's no good way to get caught up.  Dehydration will make you nauseous and unable to hold anything down, and you end up in a viscous circle.  If you're already dehydrated, you really cant "drink" your way out of it, and you need to go to the ER for a few bags of fluid. 

Dehydration will also cause orthostatic low blood pressure which will make you feel even more weak and dizzy.

And no milk, not just yet.  You probably aren't tolerating it well now.  You will in time.

Lots of people have gone through what you have, it gets better.  You'll feel like a new person once you get some fluids in you.  And once you do, remember 64+ oz every single day to maintain your hydration.
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 12:08 am

Don't feel bad about gong to ER and getting some IV fluids with electrolytes - I did it twice early out, and many DSers do.

It does *not* mean failure, but you have to take care of what you need "by any means necessary", as long as it's legal!

It *will* get better!