Dr. K. - program fee - out of pocket?

2011Mommy
on 11/19/11 10:02 am
Hello,

I spoke to Dr. K's office yesterday. They checked the benefits with my Anthem Blue Cross insurance and let me know that surgery is covered and Dr. K is a contracted provider. When I asked about any out of pocket fees, I was told that there is a $4,000 "program fee" that the insurance does not cover plus all the copays. I am so disappointed- I cannot afford such a high cost.

Please let me know if this is standard for most surgeons

I am considering the other doctor listed on DSfacts.com - Dr. Peter Crookes (seems to have very positive reviews). I am wondering if he would have a similar charge. If anyone has any info- please let me know.

Thanks so much!
Lulu
Toy T.
on 11/19/11 10:07 am
DS on 02/22/12
 Hi Lulu,

I don't think its standard but Dr. K accepts carecredt so I will be putting my program fee on that. 
2011Mommy
on 11/19/11 10:16 am
Thank you. They did advise me of this option but at this time I am not able to finance any part of my surgery. My hubby is out of work and we already have sooo much on our credit :( Makes things tough.
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 10:07 am
Hi Lulu,
    Dr. Crookes doesn't have a program fee. He is a very caring surgeon. I have nothing but the best to say about that man.  He only does the DS open. I am 9 months out and have had no complications. Love, love , love Dr.Crookes. 
    Stacee
2011Mommy
on 11/19/11 10:14 am
Thanks Stacee! I hear that the recovery is longer with open surgery. How many weeks did it take for you to feel back to "normal" again. I can only take 4 weeks off from work...
Also, do you have contact information for Dr. Crookes office? The only information I am coming across on google is for the hospital. 

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/19/11 10:17 am - Tuvalu
On November 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM Pacific Time, 2011Mommy wrote:
Thanks Stacee! I hear that the recovery is longer with open surgery. How many weeks did it take for you to feel back to "normal" again. I can only take 4 weeks off from work...
Also, do you have contact information for Dr. Crookes office? The only information I am coming across on google is for the hospital. 

NO!

People get messed up on that part.  A lap surgery LOOKS healed faster, but on the inside, it's just as torn up.  In fact, I think that "looks healed" part is dangerous because some people do too much too soon.
2011Mommy
on 11/19/11 10:29 am
I never thought of it that way but that makes total sense. Thank you!

I had my lapband in Mexico (Tijuana) on a Wednesday. I was discharged the next day and walked across the border (with the help of my sister). It hurt but I managed. I was off the pain meds by Saturday and returned to work on Monday. I was 23 and healthy. I'm still pretty healthy but there is no way I could do that again!  I can take 4 weeks off from work and I plan on taking it :)
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 10:26 am
Hi, It took me about 6 weeks to feel normal again, I was able to fuction at 3-4 weeks, but would get tired. His office is in the hospital. Here is the # I use (323)-442-6236.  I heard horror stories about his staff, but have encountered none.  Seems that the problem with his staff have all been fixed. His email address is listed on the USC website. When I first contacted him it was thru email and he emailed right back and it was a Sunday. Now I know it goes to his blackberry..lol.. He is trully an amazing man, and gifted surgeon. He does want to know that you understand the DS fully and its potential complications, so you kind of have to prove to him you know it.
2011Mommy
on 11/19/11 10:42 am
Thank you! I will contact him by email and save the phone number. I really appreciate your feedback. Since I had my baby this year, I only qualify for 4 weeks of FMLA. I will take every single day allowed plus and PTO time I accrue.
I would love to get in touch with you via PM and hear more about your experience. I will send you a message :)

Samaro ..
on 11/19/11 12:43 pm
On November 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM Pacific Time, 2011Mommy wrote:
Thank you! I will contact him by email and save the phone number. I really appreciate your feedback. Since I had my baby this year, I only qualify for 4 weeks of FMLA. I will take every single day allowed plus and PTO time I accrue.
I would love to get in touch with you via PM and hear more about your experience. I will send you a message :)

Lulu,  have you looked into the possibility of applying for short term disability too?  I don't know how that works in conjunction with FMLA but if it's a possibility to you your doctor can complete the paperwork needed.