Vets I need your help-PLEASE

Sher Bear Mama
on 11/19/11 7:50 am
Ruby, you really ARE a gem.  Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your story with me. It really did make me feel better.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

Melissa Mermaid
on 11/19/11 8:09 am - Westbury, NY
BREATHE... One step at a time... Liquid and/or chewable vitamins-supplements whenever possible. I also drink things like Fuze Slenderize, Propel Free, etc... all have vitamins, are low carb, and probably better than water in the long run. Good luck and God bless.

Besides, just think how much more an itty bitty pouch will hurt when you're nervous!

& {{{HUGS}}} &  Dare to dream & have the courage to act.  Success is yours with persistence and believing you deserve it.  melissamermaid.com (c) 2004-2013

Elia-B
on 11/19/11 12:38 pm
 I chose the DS because of the long term stability of the weight loss indicated in its patients.  Remind yourself why you're doing this.. that you want to be around 5 years from now, 10 years from now, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 years from now and still be at a level of physical fitness that allows you to actively live your life with the people you love.  Think about the benefits that long term success will give you - and the lives that success will affect.  The process of getting the DS and the recovery and just the short bridge you need to walk to help you get to the other side of the chasm that has gotten in the way of your life being what you want it to be.  Good luck!  Be brave for the future you.

Sher Bear Mama
on 11/19/11 3:25 pm
Thanks Elia.  I appreciate the encouragement and reminders.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 2:17 am
Sher-

The sleeve is going to give you the same amount of restriction, so your tummy issues will not likely go away with just the sleeve.  The sleeve helps to get the weight off, the DS *keeps* it off.

Go to a heath food store and get your multis and calcium citrate/cal-mag in liquid form for the first few months...I use NOW and Bluebonnet brands even now to supplement my drys frm time to time, if I'm feeling a little odd.  It will be a little more expensive to start, but once your tummy settles down, and it will, you can start the dry vites and calcium, gradually. the only issue is the ADEKs.  I get my dry capsules from luckyvitamins.com, since pharmacies are too much of a hassle.  Too much time spend telling them why you can't take the little oil capsules, and they can never get the drys high enough IU.  There's also a children's ADEK formula called Aquadeks (pharmacy) for kids with Cystic Fibrosis that might work for you in the beginning, but it's not a long term fix. You need the higher level capsules  to stay healthy.    Learn to do your own B12 shots.  It's easier than sublingual for me.  Your doc can write you a script for the vial of B12 (mine is 1000mcg)  and the syringes, similar to diabetic syringes sold over the counter.  I take a 1 ml shot at the beginning of the month, and another shot at the  middle of the month. 
Aftercare is not a walk in the park.  It takes dedicaton and the resolve to  learn and stick to your supplement plans to the letter.  Supplements for DSers are non-negotiable,   That said, we are all human and might forget a dose or two, until we get used to the schedule, but soon, you don't even have to think about it, you just do it. It becomes part of you.

Don't give up on the DS just yet.  My recovery was hell in the first three months too, but hang in there, and you'll soon feel it was the best decision you ever made.  It takes time to begin to eat "normally"  Our stomachs are made small (mine was 2.8 oz immediately post op) to allow for maturation over the first year.  I can now hold about a 10 oz meal at a sitting, depending on the density of the food.

Here's my list of vites - for reference only, you might need somethng different, depending on how your first labs come out. Always, ALWAYS consult with your surgeon and/or NUT (dietitian) regarding your individual needs.  If they don't make sense, come ask us vets!

Corrie's Duodenal Switch LIFETIME Nutritional Requirements   4 Complete Multivitamin/Mineral Tablets daily (Centrum Complete-type supplemented with NOW Multivitamin/Mineral Liquid)    (2400 mg) Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D Tablet daily (supplemented with NOW Cal-Mag with D Liquid)   1-2 1000mcg 1.0 ml B12 injections monthly, IM   400 mg Thiamin (Vitamin B1) Weekly   650 mg Iron weekly taken with 500 mg Vitamin C   64+ oz of hydration daily, preferably H2O   90-100g protein daily (from supplements and food)   B Complex 50 – 2 tabs daily   Dry Vitamin A – 25,000 IU weekly   Dry Vitamin D – 50,000 IU weekly   Dry Vitamin E – 400 IU weekly   Dry Vitamin K 1- 800 mcg weekly   Dry Vitamin K 2 – 10,000 mcg weekly

Chelated Zinc - 40 mg daily

I adjust intake according to labs, so if something's running high or low, I adjust accordingly.
larra
on 11/21/11 9:49 am - bay area, CA
Sher, I'm late to the party, but you have had some great responses. I too suggest counseling, as this problem may be perceived in your stomach but arises in your brain, and of course, better living through chemistry, i.e. drugs.
      You are allowed to be nervous. It truly is a life changing surgery - but in a GOOD way. You can do this.

Larra
Sher Bear Mama
on 11/21/11 10:45 am
Thanks Larra.  I had another moment f yuckiness today that was DEFINTELY caused by my nerves.  I ordered some vitamins from Vitalady today--this was the very firs concrete action I've taken for my DS.  I was fine the whole time I was ordering but once I clicked the "purchase" button, I began feeling sick to my stomach and had cramping.  It got progressively worse for the next hour until I HAD to lay down and go to sleep to get rid of the feeling (luckily my husband was home today to help me).  2 hours later I was totally fine.  I couldn't seem to talk myself out of the sick feeling earlier but the rest helped me tremendously.  So, I'm going to see if I can get a December appointment to see a therapist before I get too lost in this.

Talk soon,
Sheri

Sher--the bear mama

zuzupetals2u2
on 11/21/11 10:19 am - Sedona, AZ
I am glad to hear your doctor prescribed Atavin as I recently went on it too and it does help! All my stress goes to my shoulders and neck (not to the stomach in the form of nausea and vomiting) but the Atavin calms me down so it might help you also since it isalso  stress related.

When things get overwhelming I just take a day at a time too. Babysteps. It does help too.

My stress isnt from the DS - that went smooth and I am very happy with it and have had no complications. I couldnt get the supplements down the first few months but now I can and am doing OK. I will see my next set of labs tomorrow.

I am tho in a crazy living situation right now which is causing the stress but it's temporary and my new boyfriend & I will be taking over the house and mortagage from my X husband who has been self-destructing with alcohol since we retired.  . . .

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh