Vets I need your help-PLEASE

Lisa A.
on 11/19/11 8:21 am - Windsor, NY
You are so right. I used to do everything in my power not to throw up. The fear of throwing up is definately gone after the DS - definately gone. In fact I think you welcome it because you know you will feel better afterwards. I'm with you on the infrequent puking now - it does happen from time to time but I'll take time to time in place of my first six months of throwing up multiple, multiple times a day - and lord knows what I was throwing up because there was nothing in me.

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 11:22 pm
I also internalize my stress and pre-op I had both formsof IBS so I never knew if I would have diarrhea or constipation (mostly ran on the diarrhea side).

I agree with K9, look into some counseling, there is no need for you to live like this, with therapy and possibly meds your anxiety can be brought under control.

I have not thrown up once since surgery, unless you count the time I ate too much and it just kinda flowed back out, NOT a regular case of throwing up.  I had an easy recovery. I was 52 and was a revision. I stayed in Brazil 12 days, flew 19+ hours home and went back to work full time at almost 3 weeks out.  I know I had it super-easy compared to some but I also know that there are quite a few of us that it fairly easy.  My IBS is gone.

No matter what surgery you decide on, you need to address your anxiety issues.

HTH,
Michele
Sher Bear Mama
on 11/19/11 12:58 am
Thanks for the help Michele.  It sounds like you did great. I wish more people would post positive recoveries because then we can get a clearer picture of the whole experience.

:-) Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

bookfaerie
on 11/19/11 1:36 am
 The VSG standalone gives you a much smaller stomach. Many of these patients develop GERD with esophogeal ulcers (read: more stomach problems not less). The intestinal configuration has little to do how your stomach will feel nausea wise and remember less stomach space equals less intrinsic factor equals less absorption of iron. So your hiney will still have to take vites just perhaps fewer and when you're nauseous it won't matter. Vites are vites.

There. Feel better? LOL 

Okay Sheri, call me if you need. When you need. Many of my IBS symptoms, including my nausea were cured by my DS. And if you actually have a consistent problem taking vites that leads to malnutrition, they can always re-rearrange your innards. Stop stressing. Start celebrating! Keep your eye on the prize. You're almost there!! 
 "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
Sher Bear Mama
on 11/19/11 1:46 am
Laura! I KNEW my angel would be here to help reassure me.  I actually decided to post this because of you--you once said that so many of the positive experiences don't get posted because people are busy living rather than coming here for help when they've turned out just fine. 

I know you're right about the Sleeve--it's just scary and you KNOW how I get when I'm anxious.  Actually, I look and sound just fine right now but my innards are a mess!!!!

I am looking forward to reading more and more positive stories here to help calm my nerves--a sort of internet group therapy session if you will.

Thanks for the straight forward response!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

Samaro ..
on 11/19/11 2:17 am
Sher, I also end up with G.I. distress when I'm stressed.  It started about 25 years ago so I have a bit of experience managing it. ;)

Counseling will be a wonderful thing to resume.  I'm glad to see that you are planning to do that.  The Ativan is probably going to be the biggest, immediate, weapon in your arsenal.  Utilize it.  For me it was/is Xanax but the idea is the same with both of those meds - immediate anxiety relief.  That relief will calm your G.I. distress like nobody's business.

I know what types of situations will rev up my digestive tract into misery (visiting my neurotic 94 year old mother for example) so I just automatically pop a Xanax prophylactically and the problem is handled - No G.I. distress.

Also, you are now firmly in the Two-Week Freak period.  It's normal to be feeling scared, nervous, anxious, etc.  So, since it's normal, just go with it.  You've thought out your decision well.  You already know why the DS is the best choice for you.  Stop making yourself nuts by questioning yourself.  You got this! :)

trxxyy
on 11/19/11 4:44 am - Orange County, CA
I think I need to get on that Xanax RX plan.  Pop 1 pill when being subjected to parents for any length of time.
Samaro ..
on 11/19/11 5:20 am
I highly recommend it. LOL

Sher Bear Mama
on 11/19/11 7:44 am
So great to hear from you Sam. Laura (Bookfaerie) is always talking about you.  Hope you're doing well.

I'm really excited to pick up my anti anxiety meds on Monday because I'm hopeful that it'll make a world of difference.  I plan to keep some with me in my purse and they're sublingually absorbed so I don't even need water.  Perhaps it'll really help. Then, I can start figuring out beforhand which situations are really making me upset before they make me upset!

I'll keep you up to date as we go.  Can't wait to see you at the next SCADS when I'm finally on the losers bench.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

scoob
on 11/19/11 7:42 am - Somerset, KY
Hey there, sweetie!

I got sick for YEARS. Very nervous stomach. And yes, bowels. Sometimes both, at the same time!! FUn FUN!!

I take Lamictal, Buspar, Klonopin, Celexa,Geodon. I have Bipolar Disorder.

Here's the Kicker. I don't throw up anymore. I don't have the bowel issues. Here's the thing. I go to counseling, I take my meds. BUT as I lose weight my meds have started working ALOT better. My psych Doctor says this is exactly what he thought would happen. My doses have NOT changed and I'm seeing clearer then EVER. 

So what I'm saying, I have "bad" days here and there. BUT for the most part my nerves are wonderful. No "nerves" no nervous stomach. This has been MY experience!

Also, I concur with an earlier post, throwing up isn't the same as before. Still, don't wanna get sick but I don't panic when I feel it coming on. It's THAT different, in MY case!!

Keep your eye on the prize sweetie. If you weren't worried about these things I'd be worried about you. This is perfectly normal. You've fought a good fight and now it is finally your TURN!! Can't wait to welcome you to the DarkSide!!

HUGS

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"