Milk or water in protein shakes?

PatXYZ
on 11/19/11 10:09 am
If you prefer milk but don't want the carbs, buy unsweetened almond milk.
NoMore B.
on 11/19/11 10:26 am
 Cream or at least half and half is lower carb than milk.

Shakes are still too filling for me to drink with all cream or half and half.  I make mine with water and add a big splash of cream.
Kristen R.
on 11/19/11 11:49 am
I use half and half, coffee, and lots of ice cubes.
Elia-B
on 11/19/11 12:02 pm
I have a sensitively to the milk protein casien.  I develop a lot of chest congestion from it.  So, I've been using Jay Robb's Egg White Protein.  For a longgggg time after surgery, I was able to down milk like crazy without it bothering me the way it did pre surgery.  But then I drank a whey based drink and it sort of put me over the edge and the congestion started kicking in.  From that moment on, I noticed the effect more and more with from the milk I was using in my other protein drinks.  So.. to make a long answer suddenly shorter... I use unsweetened coconut milk (in the jugs, not the cans used for cooking).  It has only 50 cals (most of them from fat).  I'm at a point where I'm having to cut calories.  For my morning drink, I do a double scoop of protein powder (one vanilla, one chocolate (Egg White)), flavored coffee, and close to a cup of unsweetened coconut milk.  Prior to that, I had been using whole milk and then switched to fat free milk.  One draw back, when I was using milk, it added 8 grams of protein to my drink.  I kind of miss that.  

LeonieL
on 11/19/11 1:48 pm - Rivonia, South Africa
I had to google "half and half" to make sure what it is. We don't get it here in South Africa. Guess I will make my own!
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 12:19 am
I use milk for the extra protein.  I have a 75 cm common channel, so I'm not absorbig that much anyway, and according to our nutrition class, milk sugar (lactose) is not simple sugar.  Its part of the amino acid chain.  Protein molecules gotta eat, too! 

I use whole milk, with a splash or two of heavy cream in my shakes, and I'm still tryng to put the brakes on my DS after nearly 3 years (2/25/09).  The only time my weight loss slows or stops is if I indulge in the occasional simple carb, for example white flour pizza dough.  I have sought out pizzerias which make whole wheat pizza crust if I need a pizza fix, or I get the ingredients and make it myself.

Remember, with the DS, unless you go absolutely bonkers with your food choices...NO FEAR! 
Victorious_one
on 11/20/11 2:40 am, edited 11/20/11 2:42 am - South Central, PA

I do a double of Lori's protein shake. Here's the recipe link:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4280141/Step-by-step-directions-on-how-to-make-the-best-protein/#35237217

I use half & half, coffee, ice and SF hazelnut syrup from Starbucks. My protein is Champion Pure Whey Stack in Chocolate, a double scoop.

The shake makes me a little gassy, but I'm able to get in both my coffee and protein using this recipe. They go down easy.

ETA: I couldn't tolerate shakes at all until I had been on TPN and I was about 9 months out. If you can handle milk, go for it! Heavy whipping cream and half-n-half both have more protein that whole or skim milk.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers