Milk or water in protein shakes?

momx4
on 11/18/11 10:10 pm - TX
Hey ya'll,

I am finally home the plane ride sucked yesterday but I slept in my own recliner last nite finally!!  I don't sleep more than about 4 hours so I am up and down but all in all I am feeling better.  I want to ask......is it better during the WL phase to use water in my protein shakes or can I use skim milk.  So far I have been able to tolerate milk.....while still in WA, I made my shakes with milk (only 3 of them) but this morning we are out of milk (haven't been to the store yet since we been gone 2 weeks) and so I am drinking it with plain water.....while I can tolerate it just fine.....i like it better with the milk!

So what is best since I can tolerate milk......milk or water.....meaning for the weight loss phase and purpose.....should I limit the carbs and stay away from milk?

thanks,
Kristi
Kristi                
elixir
on 11/18/11 10:22 pm - MI
I avoid milk, including Lactaid, because of the carb count. I occasionally add a couple ounces of half and half to my shakes to make them a little richer, but I usually use water. Most of the Nectar flavors are OK with jus****er, but some other brands aren't. I really like the Dessert brand protein and find those taste so much better with the addition of the half and half mixed in w/the water.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

butercup
on 11/18/11 11:00 pm - Kennewick, WA
A lot of people use heavy cream and thin it out with water. You get more fat in that way.
honeybadger 11
on 11/18/11 11:26 pm - FL
Hey Kristi!

Glad you are finally home and doing well:)

Im am a stric****er only in the protein shake kinda girl. BUT i switched to egg protein for a bit since in not sure if the lil bit of lactose in my other shake was to much for me (im intolerant) or if i was doing 2 many shakes to soon...i had 3 the 4th day after surgery and threw up:(

Anyways, i switched to egg protein which is gross so i use 1/2 lactaid, 1/2 water but i do plan to see how half and half or cream goes...im just dealing with healing right now (as are you:) and im trying to keep things simple.

`

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Elia-B
on 11/19/11 11:52 am
 I use Jay Robb's Egg White Protein Powder as my protein of choice.  I admit to not having tried the whey version of that brand, but the Egg White in that brand is better (imo) than anything else I've tried so far.  If you're having milk isses, I'd recommend trying the Jay Robb brand on for size.  
meredith_123
on 11/18/11 11:28 pm - Waterford, MI
I ususally use 8 oz water and 4 oz half & half.  I like it better than jsut mixing it with milk, but I so sometimes make them with milk when I run out of half & half.
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/19/11 12:35 am - Tuvalu

Water...I occasionally add a shot of HEAVY, HEAVY cream.
teachmid
on 11/19/11 2:29 am - OKC, OK
I'm a lot farther out, but make mine with decaf coffee and heavy cream.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

a_new_mii
on 11/19/11 3:16 am - AZ
 I'm almost 8 months out and I also use coffee.  I use cool coffee and some Starbucks SF syrup.  I love them.  One double shake in the morning and one after school ( keeps me from snacking until dinner)  Sometimes, if I want it richer,  i'll add some half and half or heavy cream.  
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

bldeck
on 11/19/11 7:26 am - Farmington, NM
Straight Half N Half.  Water is to thin and milk makes me belch.

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift