Eating is FUN!

prettypixels
on 11/17/11 10:20 pm
 It's so crazy because with the band, I'd see something that looked delicious!  And want so much to eat it!  And I would try I tiny tiny bite and chew and chew and swallow and... get stuck and immediate pain and wind up throwing it back up. 

Now??? I can EAT.  Now I'm not eating steak or anything, I'm still early out!  But yesterday I had pulled barbeque chicken that was so tender and delicious and went down so nicely.  And eating is fun!  It is so wild!  

I am soooooooooooooooooo glad my band is gone!  

Just had to share that.  I keep turning around to my husband and being like... honey it's SO COOL to eat and not puke!  WOOT!  :) 
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Elizabeth N.
on 11/17/11 10:27 pm - Burlington County, NJ
YAY!!!! Eating IS fun.

yorkieGal
on 11/17/11 10:29 pm - Clermont, FL
I can so relate to that...I felt exactly the same way when my band went away!! Enjoy your new DS lifestyle!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

honeybadger 11
on 11/17/11 11:13 pm - FL
Im defenitely with you there girl! Im only on th liq/mushie stage and cant believe how easy this stuff is going in.Even pudding sometimes with the band would feel funny going down. And i dont know if its just in the head but my stomach FEELS better.i could often feel the band (or something) under my left rib area. Even tho im occassionally naseous and still healing i just feel better:) 

I think all the band did for me is train me to eat slow!

Im so happy for you! I cant wait to be eating REAL food! 

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

prettypixels
on 11/17/11 11:43 pm
 That's really interesting, I had pains under the left side of my rib cage too.  I thought it was from the tubing running to the port (which was seated in the left side of my waist).  It is still twingy but seems better;  I think there is probably scar tissue there now! 

The band did train me to eat slow too! 
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

provolisa
on 11/17/11 11:16 pm - Provo, UT
I'm so happy for you guys!

And it's nice to hear stories of recovery that aren't horror stories, for us Nervous Nellie pre-op types, lol!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

prettypixels
on 11/17/11 11:45 pm, edited 11/17/11 11:45 pm
Lisa, I have been really really lucky, blessed, whatever. My recovery has been easier than I can even tell you. The hardest part was being in the recovery room at the hospital (with a nurse I'm pretty sure hated fat people since she wanted to help everyone BUT me, and finally I insisted on someone else... and I was there for over 7 hours so it mattered!) and the NG tube, which sucked bigtime. But once home I have had zero problems. I have not vomited one time. I have felt a tiny bit queasy a few times, taken my nausea meds and felt better. I haven't had troubles getting my fluids in (I was used to drinking a LOT pre-op) or anything at all. I have had a few times when I had tummy troubles... milk is NOT GOOD for me now!!! But mostly even that has been ok. I've been very lucky and I'm just so thrilled so far. I hope your recovery is every bit as easy!

honeybadger 11
on 11/18/11 1:16 am - FL
Lisa- Ditto on a lot of what prettypixels said for me too!

My worst part was the PICC line, they hit a nerve twice putting it in:( I was told that is rare but of course it happened to me. Then the arm with the PICC line got hyper extended during surgery. I woke up with no abdominal pain but i thought my arm was gonna fall off and it was numb with pins and needles for a week!

Recovery has been much better than expected...but im an "expect the worst, hope for the best" kinda gal:)

I did "vomit" once, i say "vomit" because i think i was drinking to many protein shakes to soon and that the low lactose in them didnt go well (im intolerant) and after sitting for an hr fighting it, i just went to the bathroom and everything just flowed out, NO heaving, retching, etc.

Since i change my protein and removed somethings like creamed soups i feel pretty good. Still nauseous here and there.  And i got thrush which is a pain to treat (some of where my nausea is coming from...the med is gross and upsets my belly)

I hope you have an uneventful and fast recovery when you get your DS! (and hopefully that will be soon!!!)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

hollyweasel
on 11/18/11 2:01 am - MI
Just wait until you can REALLY eat!!!

There's a lot of cheese, butter and bacon waiting for you and you will STILL loose weight.

DS is AMAZING.

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386