4 week update

RKLC2002
on 11/17/11 11:00 am, edited 11/17/11 11:03 am - Omaha, NE
I had my surgery Oct 14 and I cannot believe how good I feel.   I'm down 31 pounds.   I'm almost back to 'normal' now.  I got my feeding tube out 3 days ago.    I get my vitamins, water, and protein in.  I went back to work (desk job) a week ago.  By the time I get home from work, I'm exhausted.

My only 2 issues are that I seem to have restless legs.  I had them before surgery, but I was able to get by.  I'm so exhausted, but these restless legs are driving me nuts.   My other is that I dry heave a lot.   I can even think of something and start dry heaving.   WHen I take my night pills, I sometimes sit there for 5 minutes dry heaving before I can get it to settle down and take them.   Then, it goes away.

Has anyone else had issues with dry heaves badly after surgery?   Or, what about restless legs?    

Oh, I do have one other female issue.  Since my surgery Oct 14, I've had my period for all EXCEPT 3-4 days.  My OB is having me double up on my birth control to see if it helps.  : (

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

April M.
on 11/17/11 11:13 am - MI
Yeah, if I remember right, I was on my period for about 3 weeks after both surgeries. I kept wondering if it would stop.

My PCP told me that if it was still going when I went in for my 6 week follow up with my surgeon, I should probably do SOMETHING about it. She wasn't worried, and I really wasn't either... I was in so much pain, and my body was SO messed up, that I figured a period that started at the wrong time  (2 days after surgery, both times) might just keep going until it was supposed to start, then stop the next month.

Long story short, I never actually had a problem with it, just was finally relieved when it stopped. But at this point for you, I'd start to worry about anemia and blood loss... good for you for keeping yopur OB in the loop about it.

Restless legs, I can't help with. Sorry.

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

J J the Jet Plane
on 11/17/11 12:04 pm
When I was dry heaving I was dehydrated- I thought I was fine and getting in fluids but I was NOT fine.  You should let your surgeon or PCP know about this. I was hospitalized for 4 days and got hydrated again and now I can eat, drink and take vitamins like I should have been.

Restless legs-all I know is if you have not been tested for sleep apnea you should be- a cpap or apap can help with restless legs, get sleep tested.
Thats all Ive got about that.

Hope the dry heaving stops soon, because I was sure I had turned my new tiny tummy inside out.
JJ

seekingsusan
on 11/17/11 2:16 pm - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Being a pre-op newbie, I'm not sure this will help but when I was pregnant I would gag when I was brushing my teeth. My Oral Hygienist suggested I was breathing through my mouth and if I breathed through my nose it would stop and sure enough, it worked. When I have felt like I was about to throw up since then, I concentrate on breathing through my nose and it helps.

Hope that helps you,
S~

prettypixels
on 11/17/11 7:46 pm
 Sounds like dehydration to me, too.  Maybe talk to your surgeon about that.  Other than that I'm glad it's going so well for you!  Congrats on 31 lbs down!!! 
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Lisa A.
on 11/17/11 8:20 pm - Windsor, NY
Why were you on a feeding tube? Are you slowly starting to introduce food to your diet? I would definately push the liquids  and this might make you feel better. Lucky you feeling back to normal after a month - I was not back to normal for 6 months.

RKLC2002
on 11/17/11 8:42 pm - Omaha, NE
My surgeon puts in the feeding tube for each DS.    After 4 weeks, I was able to get everything by mouth, so I was able to have it removed.

I'm not completely back to 'normal', but this is going SOOO much better than I thought it would.   I figured I would be having regrets all of the time right now.   My new normal is sip, sip, sip, and I eat every 2-3 hours with such a small protein.    I also found a wonderful protein called Premier Protein (I found it at Costco) which is 30 grams of protein.  That's my breakfast every day now.

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Janet P.
on 11/18/11 2:10 am
Concerning the restless legs, how's your iron? That's a symptom of iron deficiency anemia. When I was anemic, it was really bad. Suggest getting your iron checked. You're also bleeding so that could also be causing anemia (catch-22). Remember you had major surgery a month ago. It takes your body quite a while to recovery from the trauma of surgery plus the anesthesia could also be causing issues with your periods.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

RKLC2002
on 11/18/11 3:14 am - Omaha, NE
Good idea.  I set up an appt with my PCP on Monday.   I will ask him if he can check my iron level as well.  I have a list of things to go over with him.  

I thought I was doing great with water, but I will work on pushing myself to drink more often.    Maybe that is part of my problem.....

No regrets with my DS!!!