The Great Vitamin D Experiment (w/a PS for Eli)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/17/11 10:05 am, edited 11/17/11 10:07 am - Tuvalu

Well, she--the 15 year old endocrinologist--will be either impressed with my stay-on-top-of-it-ness or pissed.

I was compliant.  I stopped the REAL Vitamin D...Dry Vitamin D3 100-150k IUs...and played along with the nice doctor, taking Rx Vitamin D2, 50k IU every other day and then every day.

End result?  My Vitamin D is down and my PTH is up.  So...my very good surgeon SOLVED the debate by shooting the correct Vitamin D into my gluteous.  (I can't "not take" that one, can I?)  So I have answered the question as far as MY numbers are concerned...and I'm going back to Plan A.

Eli---the change in the Vitamin D shows up faster than the change of the PTH shows up.  Imagine a bicycle and a freight train slamming the brakes on at the same time...the results show sooner on the bike (the serum Vitamin D) than on the train (the PTH.)  In MY case, though, it showed at least SOME in both of those in about month.

Of course, that's only on those two numbers, but just as an example.

Sue

J G.
on 11/17/11 2:45 pm
Sue, very interesting.

My Vitamin D is down and my PTH is up

Can you give us the before and after numbers for the "about a month"  experiment
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/18/11 12:10 am - Tuvalu
J G.
on 11/19/11 2:55 am
Sue, interesting that you could see the change in just about month. I usually have waited longer to retest.  Good to know. And lately, I must confess, I'm kind of using my best guess with the tweaking and just waiting for the next  regular six-month labs, as long as it's nothing too bad.  All those retests cost me mola$$$. 

Good that you have gone back to plan A. Keep us  posted on how your doing.  I don't know much about D injections.  Are they common?  Is it just regular ole D and will that work?  I've never ask my PCP about them and Gagner has gone from Florida to Canada :o(
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/19/11 5:38 am - Tuvalu
Eli1979
on 11/17/11 8:01 pm
Thanks Cal!!!!