Up Date on my "Problem!"

Gracie P.
on 11/17/11 9:22 am, edited 11/17/11 9:28 am - Mansfield, OH
Hi my DS family!  Monday I posted that I had severe abdominal pain and was puking.  This started about noon.  By 1:45 I was in the bathroom heaving.  (thank goodness the bathroom is right next to my classroom and my last class of the day are angels!) 

Came home and tried to lie down but about every half hour or so I was up with dry heaves.  Finally, I couldn't take the pain in my upper abdomen anymore (right under my ribs and then it traveled to my belly button area and in my low back)

Went to the local ER and checked in.  My admitting nurse took my info.  I pulled out DS card with a diagram on it and on the back it says "IN CASE OF MEDICAL EMERGENCY:  This patient has undergone a Billopancreatic Diversion with a Duodenal Switch.  If the patient has a bowl obstruction, they are at risk for closed loop obstruction.  Please contact.........  Dr. info.

This Yahoo just glanced at it and I said "NO you need to read the back"  He did and nothing!   GRRRRR

The ER Dr. came in and at least HE read it and nodded like he understood!  Off to X-Ray.  Came back to my room and finally the Dr. came in and said "Can I see that card again?"  That's when the hubby said "that's not good!" 

The whole time, they had me on IV fluids and at least comfortable.  Dr. came back in and said they are seeing something in the X-Ray they didn't like and he conferred with with my on call physician and I need to go there.  My surgeons hospital is 2.5 hours away!  I wanted to have my DH drive me but ER dr. and Surgeon's partner agreed I should be transported via ambulance. 

Now to make this short... Finally!

I ended up having a cat-scan at about 4 in the morning and laproscopic exploratory surgery at noon.  My surgeon found a BLOCKAGE IN MY BOWEL and some adhesions.  He was able to take care of it all laproscopically and today I came home.  Hospital from Tues. early morning until Thurs. afternoon.  :)  I would have come home last night but I got a SEVERE migraine due to some of the pain killers...  I am still suffering some from it over 24 hours later.  My tummy doesn't even hurt!

Moral of my story is if you have SEVERE abdominal pain (especially near your ribs)  go get it checked out.  I am glad I did and I am more thrilled that I insisted on being taken 2.5 hours away to my surgeons hospital.  They usually transport to Columbus, which is an hour away.  Dr. Teel did a wonderful job.  He told me he is the only one in his partnership of 3 who does this lap.  The only one in the whole hospital who will even attempt this lap.  Dr. Teel R O C K S!  Plus he is a cutie-pa-tootie! 

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. 

xoxo

Gracie                                          
- 165 lbs. total!                     Updated 4/7/13

prettypixels
on 11/17/11 9:28 am
Oh wow. Thank goodness you are ok! So glad you went in when you did! Thanks for updating us!!!
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 9:32 am
I love a happy ending!  I'm glad you stood up for yourself and you're OK!  Thank you for sharing your cautionary experience with all of us.  Dr. Teel sounds awesome!
Jennifer D.
on 11/17/11 9:41 am
Sounds like you did everything right Gracie - good for you! A great lesson for the rest of us!!
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
teachmid
on 11/17/11 10:55 am - OKC, OK
I'm so glad you pursued this and good appropriate treatment.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

provolisa
on 11/17/11 10:59 am - Provo, UT
Thank goodness you went in when you did! And then went the 2.5 hours to your surgeon's hospital! It's a lesson for all of us.

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

orangecrushed
on 11/17/11 11:09 am - Triad, NC
Glad to hear that you got the correct diagnosis, and that your surgeon was able to take care of everything.  Hope you feel fine as frog hair again soon!
seekingsusan
on 11/17/11 1:56 pm - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Thanks for sharing your experience. That's one of the wonderful things I love LOVE LOVE about this board. I've learned SO much from these kinds of posts. I often wonder where some of the people have gone to, if they are having horrible experiences and afraid to share them publicly. I like to think they are living such awesome, busy lives and they have moved on, However, I'm mega-grateful (if that's a word, lol) for the Vets who have stuck around and continue to share their wisdom with us.

Thank You All,
S~

momx4
on 11/17/11 1:59 pm - TX
Thank goodness your okay Gracie, this has me thinking since I traveled for my surgery...what would I do if this happened to me?  The nearest DS surgeon to me is Doc Stewart up in Denton!   Since he wasn't my surgeon I doubt he would help me?   Hmmm......what should those of us not near our surgeon's do if this type thing happens?
Kristi                
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 9:03 pm
I was worried about you, Gracie, when you hadn't come home quickly.  I'm so glad for you having The Card (I have one too) and having a great DH there and then getting treatment and fixed.

I hope your migraine goes away soon and you get some rest.

Don't try to head to work too soon!!!

Hugs,
Ratkity