My face is a mess

J G.
on 11/17/11 2:52 pm
Might want to increase the Zinc.  What kind of zinc are you taking?  And separate it from Copper.  Just this week I started the every other day plan for zinc and copper.  That means I take double the amount of zinc on the first day, divided into 2 doses on that day.  Then the same for copper on day two, and so on.  Does that make sense????
Jennifer D.
on 11/18/11 1:48 am
Thanks Jenny. I have to admit I was not taking additional zinc or copper. I will purchase some of both and that schedule sounds good.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
P. Poster
on 11/17/11 7:38 pm
 I have the same problem.  I NEVER had acne as a teen, or even young adult.  Then, I had my DS...  Since about 2 months postop, I've been badly broken out all around my chin and jawline, with an occasional stray on a cheek or forehead, ect.  I've tried EVERYTHING- including upping my zinc, A & E.  My vitamin levels are all coming back nice, and high range, so I even tried cutting back on a few things in case having too MUCH was causing the issue.  Once the labs fell into mid range, I was STILL having issues, so I bumped the vites back up.  I finally gave in after well over a year (and many, many scars now) of trying to battle this alone, and made an appt for a derm (who I will see Monday of next week).  I'm 33, I shouldn't be struggling with freaking acne...  It is INFURIATING to say the least.  I'll keep you posted if I hear anything worth sharing!
Jennifer D.
on 11/18/11 1:49 am
Please do let me know what happens. I have an appointment with my PCP this upcoming week so I will ask to be referred to our dermatologist.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Emily F.
on 11/18/11 7:54 am
On November 18, 2011 at 3:38 AM Pacific Time, e******grl wrote:
 I have the same problem.  I NEVER had acne as a teen, or even young adult.  Then, I had my DS...  Since about 2 months postop, I've been badly broken out all around my chin and jawline, with an occasional stray on a cheek or forehead, ect.  I've tried EVERYTHING- including upping my zinc, A & E.  My vitamin levels are all coming back nice, and high range, so I even tried cutting back on a few things in case having too MUCH was causing the issue.  Once the labs fell into mid range, I was STILL having issues, so I bumped the vites back up.  I finally gave in after well over a year (and many, many scars now) of trying to battle this alone, and made an appt for a derm (who I will see Monday of next week).  I'm 33, I shouldn't be struggling with freaking acne...  It is INFURIATING to say the least.  I'll keep you posted if I hear anything worth sharing!
 I've dealt w this my whole life and never been happy w topical creams until now. They have really come a long way. I'm finally happy. 
Violet S.
on 11/17/11 9:13 pm - NY
 Yuck-- I feel your pain!
I hadn't broken out since my teens and then suddenly I had oily, acne-prone skin for about 18 months after my DS... I think some of it is the massive hormone shifts that come with shedding an enormous amount of weight quickly. It calmed down for me at about 18 months post-op.
Of course, it's back now that I'm pregnant, which I'm hoping is just a side-effect of pregnancy (weird, b/c I had really good skin for my first 2 pre-op babies tho??)
.... but, yeah, to be in my 30's and still needing to take an extra 15 minutes in the morning to pile on face cream, concealer and powder so I look presentable? Not cool.
Now I have wrinkles AND zits!
I have tried applying a thin layer of calamine lotion to my face 1X a day for about an hour and it does seem to help somewhat with the oiliness and redness.
Good luck!
Jennifer D.
on 11/18/11 1:52 am
Thanks Violet, unfortunately I have had at least one pimple somewhere since I was 13 (always thought I would turn 18 and it would magically vanish), but as I mentioned it's horrible. It's visible beneath makeup and embarrasing :O.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Elizabeth N.
on 11/17/11 10:37 pm - Burlington County, NJ
You are not a teenager and therefore you are probably going about it wrong. Go to a dermatologist and get treated for real. Chances are that IF it is really acne vulgaris, it is coming because of different reasons than it does for teenagers, so you'd need different treatment.

There's also a very good chance it is NOT acne vulgaris but something else entirely.

Now, enough of this nonsense about considering not working because of some spots on your face. I had cystic acne from age eight to well past age 40 (it improved after my hysterectomy and FINALLY went away after my DS), as in the kind where the small craters are about the size of the end of your little finger and they go all the way up to the size of golf balls. (Which I thankfully only got on my back.) I know what it's like to have a horrible face. It is not the end of the world. You can still earn a living.

Take a deep breath, remember that there are far worse things in the world, and move on. I suggest giving great thanks that you only have a broken out face and not the kind of horror that Divajojo is currently enduring, to use but one example.

Jennifer D.
on 11/18/11 1:57 am
I know it's all about perspective Elizabeth. It was early morning, I was in pain, there were dark red blotches all over my face that were visible below makeup and I work with cruel teens. I guess it was the moment. I will see a dermatologist, I have gone long enough like this, I will just have to fight off her urge to prescribe me accutane.
I do know I am lucky in comparison to many of those I keep in my prayers. : )
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Dena73
on 11/17/11 10:39 pm - Hamilton, NJ
The same thing happend to me.  Although my labs come back great and there are no defiicienies, I increased my zinc and it worked like a charm.  I hope this helps.

HW 294..... SW 277..... CW 161 ..... GW 160???
DOODLESNJ AND ELLEN G. ARE MY ANGELS   R.I.P. Faith...Beautiful Angel 8/26/10, you will be missed by all, gone but never forgotten <3 <3 <3
DENA