Question for 2 stagers

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/11 11:43 am
Did you follow the same post-op diet after your 2nd stage with just the intestional part?  Did you start with liquids, then mushies, soft solids, etc?
April M.
on 11/16/11 12:33 pm, edited 11/16/11 12:34 pm - MI
I probably shouldn't admit to this, but my surgeon's office told me to follow the same progression with the same timeline.

I wasn't buying it. The way I figured, my stomach had to reduce what I ate to chime before it could pass to my newly cut up and rearranged intestines.

So, I started on mushies/purees as soon as I came home (I was supposed to wait about a week). And I progressed to full solids much sooner then recommended, about a week early. I only had a few problems, mostly just with the volume I ate and not what my insides could handle.

I found that after the second surgery, I had renewed restriction, probably because of the swelling, as both of mine were done open. Not as bad as after the sleeve surgery, but more like what I expect the restriction was after most of the swelling had gone down. I went from being able to eat about a cup of food before my second surgery back down to 1/2 cup again.

*edited for my horrible spelling

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/11 12:57 pm
According to Dr. B, I will leave the hospital and mushies.  My thought process is this:  doesn't the stomach reduce basically everything we eat into liquid???  So, if there are no incisions anywhere in my stomach, then everything I eat will be liquid before it hits the incisions in my intestines, no?  I could be totally wrong.  Someome please correct me if I am.  I, of course, will ask my surgeon about this, but just wanted some feedback now from people who have experienced it.
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/11 3:37 pm - MN
DS on 03/13/12
I know from what I have seen a few people post on facebook is that Dr. B progresses people faster then Dr.I or Dr. L
Jennifer D.
on 11/16/11 4:32 pm
Could progressing slower help with initial weight loss? This was one of the reasons I followed the guide.
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/11 8:58 pm
I followed the doc's extended liquid diet until it was ok to do soft. I was nauseous and not very hungry. To be honest, I didn't want to eat much of anything or drink!! BUT.. due to the wise ones here, I forced myself to sip constantly and monitored my fluid intake. I won't die from not eating, but can die from dehydration. I was also sent home from surgery with a sinus infection and in the middle of the DC double blizzard.  The antibiotics made me nauseous as well.  On top of that, my period started during surgery.. oiy! Really minor inconveniences compared to surgical complications.

Just in case, my poor 80 yr old dad shoved feet of wet snow so the cars could get out or an ambulance in if there was a problem. There weren't any. Yay!

Stick to surgeon's food schedule.  It's going to be hard enough getting in fluids the first couple of weeks. This is major surgery.  Let your insides heal.

Hugs,
Ratkity
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/11 10:03 pm
I will follow his giude, of course.  I haven't gotten it yet and I'm sure I won't until surgery.  It sure would be nice to be able to get some groceries and things I'll need after tho.  If the nurses knew how to pick up a phone, I'd be golden.  I just thought that maybe there were other 2 stagers that had their diet plans or remembered

Thanks for all your responses!