1 week post op with questions

honeybadger 11
on 11/17/11 12:58 am - FL

Hello Everyone-

Surgery went great on the 9th, 2 days in the hospital and 2 days in the hotel before a 9hr journey home. We stopped every few hours and i ankle pumped and butt squeezed my way home:)

I have been great with my fluids getting in more than 60oz. So the day i got back to the hotel I started my protein shakes (Champion Prue Whey) 2 that day then 3 then next. Well by the end of that day i was horribly nauseous. My hubs said i was staring into the tv like it was poltergeist! haha!

Long story short...i vomited, no heaving just got up went to the bathroom and everything just flowed out. Dr said i was either sucking in to much air or it was my protein since its low lactose and not lactose free.

Clear liquids for 2 days. Found out creamed soups also make me nauseous so X those too and Ive been feeling pretty good. Drinking egg protein right now and adding soy to puddings, etc.

SO MY QUESTION IS...its was just the lactose in the protein so i can get something like Isopure thats lactose free and i should be ok...i know this sounds dumb but i figure maybe someone else dealt with this and can give me some direction. i actually dont mind a good protein shake but this egg protein is gross:(

Any other suggestion on good tasting lactose free protein powders?

Thanks everyone! I couldnt have went thru this process without this board! xx

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

MajorMom
on 11/17/11 1:03 am - VA
I think it might be just that protein shakes can be "heavy". If you were to add a little more water... The shake powder shouldn't have enough lactose to bother you but Champion also has some sugar alcohols and maybe some protein concentrates. Just try to thin it out and drink a little less at a time.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fullhousemom
on 11/17/11 2:36 am
 I could never drink the shakes. I ate cottage cheese, sliced provolone (any white) cheese, oatmeal with some protein powder. This early out, my doctor emphasized staying hydrated. Two weeks out he told me to shoot for 40 grams of protein. By three weeks, I was at 40 grams. I like protein bars, but not shakes. And I found out the hard way, no artificial sweeteners!
Elizabeth N.
on 11/17/11 2:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
Sounds like you consumed too much heavy stuff too soon and activated your eject button.

Try doing the protein supplement MUCH THINNER and with as little mixing as possible. Don't add a bunch of goodies to it (syrups, peanut butter, whatever). Mix it with water. Then SIP it, as in a teaspoon or so at a time.

And remember: You don't NEED the stuff just yet. The only thing you absolutely MUST have at this point is hydration. Don't get in a rush.

z85sparty
on 11/17/11 5:58 am - Mason, MI
 I would suggest what the others have and try making your Champions Whey Protein Shakes much thinner!  Also, make sure you are sipping it SLOWLY!  Although it is a liquid it will still fill you up!  I mean, if you are drinking a 28 ounce shake I would say it should take upwards of 1 - 1.5 hours to drink the whole thing!  

Also, if you are making Lori's protein mix (you should be, it's the best) I would try rotating between half-n-half and whipping cream.  I can make mine with either since I am not lactose intolerance at all; however, a DSer friend can only do Whipping Cream in her shakes because she is pretty lactose intolerance. 

Also Champions is low lactose formula.  

You can try the Isopure; however, I hated them!  No matter how well you shake them up I could always taste the protein in it.  Icky!  But that doesn't mean that you wouldn't like it!

Just remember at 9 days out, low and slow when eating!  When you even think you could be full, stop!  One bite or drink that early is usually literally one bite too much and it will make everything come back up!  When I was 7-14 days post op I would focus on getting 2 ounces of protein shake in every 30 minutes!  Same goals girlfriend!!!  Good luck and let us know how it goes!

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

honeybadger 11
on 11/17/11 6:34 am - FL
I dont think drink to fast was the issue, maybe to many drinks to soon but i was drink a 6oz protein shake over an hr or so. I also got nauseous from eating creamed soup which has processed milk in it.

Im doing 2 egg protein shakes a day now, one in the am one in the pm with no problem. Same scoop size in 6oz of water. But maybe a couple of days makes the difference:)

I will add Champion back in a few weeks and see how i do:)

Thanks for the input!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

sandyv63
on 11/17/11 9:56 am - Naples, FL
I'm a week out today and I hate the protein drinks. However, I can eat one entire hard boiled egg in about a half an hour and liquids are going down fine. I'm getting in more protein from food this early out than I ever imagined would be possible. Instead of shakes, why not add unflavored protein powder to some of the food you eat?  I have been fortunate so far and have not vomited or been nauseous at all. Also, I am using only a sippy cup for my liquids. I find this has been the absolute best advice I've received on this board. It eliminates swallowing air which is a huge help. 
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi