One year surgiversary update

challie
on 11/15/11 4:00 am
Hey guys,

Updating on my progress.  One year out and all is well.  I have lost 165 lbs.  I am 25 lbs from goal, and still losing, although I am happy with how I look and my husband says I am totally skinny.  Everyone I know is amazed at the change, but convinced there must be some terrible downside that I am hiding.  There isn't.

I am eating very well.  I have added in more carbs at the suggestion of my surgeon to prevent low blood sugar and to keep my mood up.  This has not affected my weight loss much as far as I can tell. 

I was complaining of low energy a few weeks ago, but my most recent labs revealed low iron which is now being addressed and my energy level is much improved already.  I have complained of gas problems in the past and they continue, but are not that big a deal.  I have seen an improvement over the last three months which suggests that my body may still be adapting and this may eventually disappear.

I am thrilled that I can go into Walmart and pick up cheap clothes to tide me over as I lose the rest of my weight.  I am thrilled that I can fit into much smaller sizes and look so trim and polished in my clothes.  I used to be one of those people that looked sloppy and unkempt irrespective of the amount of effort I made, because my clothes always bunched up and wrinkled.  No more of that for me!!  I am going on a long plane trip in a few weeks and I do not have to worry about fitting in the plane seats, or walking long distances in the airport. 

I am still adjusting to who I am now.  I am still surprised by my image reflected in mirrors and windows.  I am still surprised by the fact that after walking up a flight of stairs I am not totally winded and my heart doesn't hurt.  I am still surprised that I can sit down on the bus and not crush the people next to me.  I am still surprised that I can get up off the floor after playing with my nieces and nephews with relative ease and grace.

I am most surprised by how much of a difference this makes to other people??? They care so much and think this weight loss is so important.  More important that I even do.  They seem to respect me so much more.  I don't know if they respect the effort that goes into weight loss or they just respect skinny people more, but it is ridiculous. People who I don't even recognize and who have no reason to have ever noticed me are coming up like old friends to tell me how good I look and how much weight I have lost. 

I really do feel unburdened with regard to my body.  I am just like a normal person.  I never hated being a fat person, but I did hate the mobility issues and burden of weight.  I am still the same person I always was, but I now don't have to deal with that.  It is a big relief, but also a reminder that there is nothing holding me back now.  If I don't succeed to the best of my ability it is all on me.  I have to get out there and grab life by the horns.  The world is my oyster.

Thanks for listening
Challie

momx4
on 11/15/11 4:09 am - TX
thanks for paying it forward....any pics?
Kristi                
challie
on 11/15/11 4:12 am
No pics.   I'm too paranoid about posting pictures on the internet and maybe a bit shy.

adkmtngirl
on 11/15/11 4:17 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Congrats on your success!!! You've done a great job. 
Kristina

challie
on 11/15/11 6:59 am
Thanks!

a_new_mii
on 11/15/11 6:49 am - AZ

Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

challie
on 11/15/11 6:59 am
Thanks and congratulations to you too.  You must be some kind of DS superstar!

Blank Out
on 11/17/11 8:50 am
 Happy for you!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135