100% DV Calcium in 2 tablets... Can this be real?

NancyBluEyes
on 11/19/11 3:44 pm - SouthOfTheCities, MN
 So Elizabeth, are you saying that the Country Life Cal/Mag Complex worked for you to get your PTH into good ranges? I would love to use it as an option to cut back on the number of pills I need to take every day. I know that I need to get in between 2K and 2500 mg of Cal a day and I am doing that. It would be awesome though to do it in 4 or 5 pills instead of 8 or 10. The size of these is a bit bigger than what I am currently taking but not in any way a deterant. 
Nancy  Remember what you deserve. Be good to you. Do good to you. 
5'11"    HW 419 / SW 382 / CW 205 / GW 180

Elizabeth N.
on 11/19/11 10:14 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I don't KNOW that this stuff is what made the difference, but there is a correlation between the time I took it and the large drop in my PTH values. You might wish to try them as an experiment on yourself, which is what I did. Just make sure you don't slack off on getting your labs done, so that you know what is happening.

NancyBluEyes
on 11/20/11 2:24 am - SouthOfTheCities, MN
Thanks for the clarification. I totally understand that you cannot point to a direct cause and effect but I am just very glad to hear that your numbers didn't get worse while you were using this. It helps with some of the decision making. I am thinking I may use these for 1/2 of my daily supplementation. Not sure yet. I just had labs done and there are things I need to follow up on in a few months with my Endo. I am very interested to see what happens.  Thanks so much again!!!!

LovableLynn
on 11/20/11 12:42 am - Qatar
Hi all!!

I have a question...

MajorMom states this is Magnesium oxide and not magnesium citrate but the definition above states : "Magnesium (as magnesium oxide, citrate, taurinate, alpha-ketoglutarate, aspartate)"

Both types of magnesium are mentioned... so how do we know which it is exactly?

Sorry if my question seems silly but I am not far post-op and am still learning the ropes.

Thanks in advance

Lynn

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

NancyBluEyes
on 11/20/11 2:21 am - SouthOfTheCities, MN
Lynn, 

Your question is far from silly and I am very glad you asked. I am sure there are those more specifically informed on this than I but here is my general understanding.

So as to not have to reveal their particular "trade secret" formulations companies are only required to list ingredients in declining order of content... the most prevalent item all the way down to the least. We must therefore assume that the majority of magnesium in this supplement comes from mag oxide and we have no real way of knowing how much of a spread there is between that "majority" and the remaining 4 other kinds of magnesium. My cynical self will always assume that companies will include valuable or highly desireable items in a supplement so that they can claim the content but not necessarily use a lot of it since it is likely more expensive than some other type...  For examples, the above mentioned 5 different kinds of magnesium could very well be represented by the numbers 75%, 15%, 5%, 3% and 2%. Or it could be  35%, 30%, 20%, 10%, 5%. These two variations would mean different things but there is no way for us to know unless we had access to the requisite testing equipment. 

Another way of looking at this is that it appears from my general overview that mag citrate must take up more space than mag oxide when compared (elemental mg to elemental mg) as the pills with mag citrate are almost always much larger or you must take two in order to claim the same content. (These factors are not as desireable for the customer from a price per pill or ease of use standpoint thereby negatively influencing sales which is bad for the manufacturer.) This would also encourage the use of a larger percentage of mag oxide. 

I hope that I am correct in my understanding, I am pretty sure I am, and I hope that I have not actually confused you more than you already were. 

LovableLynn
on 11/21/11 12:46 pm - Qatar
Thank you for the clarification. I understand more now :-)

I may not comment much on these boards but I am always reading and learning so I really appreciate all that you vets do for us.

Have a great day!!

Lynn

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/20/11 8:03 am
 I haven't had this same brand, but have been happy with microcrystaline hydroxyapatie (MCHA) and also have been using cal bisglycinate. I've heard both are among the most soluble forms of calcium, and I take about double what most DSers take (because of kidney stones), so I like as much bang for my buck out of each tablet, so to speak. 

I may take the same quantity of tablets per day as the cal cit, but think my body is making better use of it, so I'm leaving these in my daily regime for now.
NancyBluEyes
on 11/25/11 5:58 pm - SouthOfTheCities, MN
 So sorry that it has taken me so long to reply to you. I have been away frommy computer for a few days. That being said I want to thank you for sharing, especially for the benefit of the newer DS'ers. I have heard very good things about these 2 different forms and amglad you are having success with them. I know we all must make adjustments in our supps dependant on our personal side issues or other conditions. Take care!