100% DV Calcium in 2 tablets... Can this be real?

NancyBluEyes
on 11/14/11 5:23 pm - SouthOfTheCities, MN
Please tell me if you think this is too good to be true? It seems as though this would be an awesome option for us in our calcium needs. I cannot imagine just having to take 4 or 5 tablets a day to get all the calcium I need. Oh yeah, its also $8.75 for 180 pills on Vitacost.com. 

• Gluten Free
  • Vegetarian
  • Kosher
Target-Mins™ are complexed with specific free-form amino acids and other carriers for optimum mineral transport.
Supplement Facts Serving Size: 2 Tablets Servings per Container: 90  
  Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calcium (as calcium hydroxyapatite, citrate, aspartate, alpha-ketoglutarate, lysinate) 1000 mg 100%

Phosphorus (as calcium hydroxyapatite) 500 mg 50%

Magnesium (as magnesium oxide, citrate, taurinate, alpha-ketoglutarate, aspartate) 500 mg 125%

Other Ingredients: Cellulose, cellulose and glycerin coating, stearic acid, silica, and vegetable glaze. Free Of Yeast, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, sugar, starch, preservatives, and artificial color.

Country Life Calcium-Magnesium Complex Directions

Adults take two (2) tablets daily. For best utilization, take with food. Do not exceed recommended dose.

Nancy  Remember what you deserve. Be good to you. Do good to you. 
5'11"    HW 419 / SW 382 / CW 205 / GW 180

MajorMom
on 11/14/11 6:20 pm - VA
It's magnesium oxide and not mag citrate. Oxide helps you poo and mag citrate helps with calcium absorption and leg cramps. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

NancyBluEyes
on 11/19/11 3:37 pm - SouthOfTheCities, MN
 Gina, 

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer me. I knew I likely had to be missing something. It just seemed too good to be true. I do know that I can always count on MajorMom though. 

Thanks!!!
Nancy

Kayla B.
on 11/14/11 8:57 pm - Austin, TX
Oh boy...a bubble is about to be burst...

The current recommendations around here are to be taking AT MINIMUM 2000mg elemental calcium.  This is 200% DV.  And, this calcium should be mostly calcium citrate.  Some also take hydroxyapatite.  

This recommendation generally turns out to be 2 big honkin' horse pills per 600mg.  Personally, I do that 4x per day for 2400mg elemental calcium, and I'd consider myself to be on the lower end of calcium intake.  That's  8 pills, not 4 or 5.

There are also capsules available more rarely, but you still need to take a lot of them.  If you could get all your calcium from 2 pills, you'd probably choke to death from how massive they'd have to be.  :P

If you cannot fathom this amount, find a chewable or liquid form until you can swallow large pills.  This is pretty important.  Calcium is needed for muscle contractions (this includes the heart).  So, think about all the muscles in your body and how much you move them everyday.  They all need calcium, so we keep a big storage capacity in our bones to pull from in emergencies.  But if you keep pulling from it, you get brittle, easy to break bones.  Not fun :(

Take your calcium, and take a lot!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Lisa A.
on 11/14/11 9:05 pm - Windsor, NY
What kind of calcium do you take that you get 600mg per pill? Is it citrate? I am excited...

Kayla B.
on 11/14/11 9:10 pm - Austin, TX
No, go back and reread.  600mg per 2 pills.  Sorry...no excitement to be had here.  LOL
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
NancyBluEyes
on 11/19/11 5:02 pm - SouthOfTheCities, MN
 Kayla, 

Thanks so much for taking the time to write so much in reply to my post. However, I think you have misread my post. Thankfully, I don't have any bubble to be burst about this situation. I am thankful for the information that MajorMom pointed out - that the magnesium content is oxide and not citrate. I do know that this does make some difference although I am not well read enough to be able to tell anyone exactly how much of a difference and, I am sure as with all other things, each person's mileage will vary. I think that I remember reading Vitalady saying that she does not take magnesium with each dose of calcium. I would have to go digging for that though. Regardless... here we are. 

I do understand how important calcium is to our systems and how easily we can become depleted. I do know what the recommendations for DS'ers are for daily values. I do routinely take 2400mgs of Calcium daily using 4 doses (2 pills each) of another cal/mag supplement.

The reason I had become so exceptionally interested in these pills is that they offer 1000mg of elemental calcium (100% DV) in their suggested serving of 2 pills a day. This means that there is 500mg in each pill. The 4 - 5 pills a day I referenced spoke to my goal of obtaining 2K to 2500mg a day. I said I could not fathom that amount being that I was stunned (excited / giddy) at the thought that I could actually get all my calcium in that few number of pills - not that I thought that was a lot of pills. My daily pill box is monstrous with supps and Rxs.

I cherish all the information that I get from the lovely and loving people on OH and if it weren't for a lot of them I would be struggling. I just want to say that sometimes maybe we jump too quickly on people or an opportunity and can come off as smug or preachy instead of really hearing what the person is asking for. 

Just my two cents... 

Kayla B.
on 11/19/11 10:31 pm - Austin, TX
You are totally correct that I misread your post and I see that now. That not withstanding, I still shouldn't have talked to you like that. I apologize!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Sorry!
NancyBluEyes
on 11/20/11 2:26 am - SouthOfTheCities, MN
 Kayla, thanks. I am glad we are cool.  If we we were closer I would invite you for a beer!

Elizabeth N.
on 11/14/11 9:40 pm - Burlington County, NJ
It's two pills per serving, and you need at least two grams of calcium daily, which is four pills.

I used these for several months at two pills, twice a day, and my PTH levels dropped a LOT. Ran out of them and had to get a bottle of regular cal cit, but I'll be back to them ASAP.

They are a bit larger than the usual cal cit horse pills, too.