Dr, Keshishian - Lapband to DS revision....

2011Mommy
on 11/15/11 4:49 pm
Hello. I made the mistake of getting the Lapband (and paying for it myself!) almost 6 years ago. I weighed 236 (I'm 5'5") at that time. Today I weigh 250 . I have NEVER weighed this much and I hate everything about it- how difficult it is becoming to get up from the couch, tie my shoes, etc... not the mention that I am pre-diabetic.

I have been reading this board and saw DSfacts.com mentioned several times. I went on the website and found Dr. Keshishian's info - he is the closest doctor to me (about 2 hours away).
I would love to hear feedback from anyone whose surgery was done by Dr. Keshishian. Has anyone done a revision from lapband to DS? I am scared and excited at the same time.

Also, I have been researching a bit on the DS diet... I'm understanding that it is a high protein diet with a limit on carbs. Is there a recommendation per day? Are there any foods that are completely off limit? I am trying to get an idea of what eating is like for a DSer because I do like to eat (I didn't get to this weight eating celery!).

One more thing, I understand the importance of getting in water, protein and vitamins. I can 100% commit to this. I'm worried that even if I do this, I will still develp nutrional/medical complications in the long run. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for any feedback and I'm sorry for so many questions! Feel free to answer just 1 or 2  or however many you choose. I appreciate it all!

airbender
on 11/15/11 6:05 pm
Dr K has superb surgical skill, and is a wonderful man.  I am a lap band to DS revision.  Due to malabsorption (this will depend on your individual limb lenghts to a degree) we need >90 gm of protein/day (this also depends on age, weight, gender etc) carbs are limited as they are difficult for anyone to lose weight, but simple carbs are absorbed 100% in the DS configuration.  As a new revision and until you have undergone intestinal adaptation it is best to stay consume only good quality proteins, with an addition of low carb vegetables till you are at your goal or close, then add complex carbs once you reached goal. 

Good you are committed to taking in vit/min/protein as this is critical to your health.  You will need blood work done more frequently the first 12-18 months till your body adapts.  Once you have your results you can adjust your vit/min etc intake to fix any possible deficiencies.  There are no absolutes in medicine.  Even with supplements, excellent eating etc you can be deficient in a vit/min that requires above and beyond treatment and in rare situations a revision to the intestinal configuration (this is rare is is ususally due to a common channel that is too short, for the patient, most drs are moving away from this due to the greater chance associated with nutritional deficeiencies and common channel shortening, as the extra 10-20 lbs loss with a shorter common channel doesn't justify that)  you will have to talk to your specific surgeon that you pick, and how he/she will make your limbs, which should be indiviualized to a certain extent.  Limb lengths should be based on age, gender, overall health, how much weight someone needs to lose, height, etc.....wishing you a great journey on your revision......there will be no more elephant on the chest feeling with the DS...
2011Mommy
on 11/16/11 6:57 am
Thank you for the information! I am glad to see others who had a revision from the band.
I am sooo looking forward to eliminating the "elephant on the chest feeling".
teachmid
on 11/15/11 8:31 pm - OKC, OK
Dr. K did my RNY to DS revision and I recommend him without reservation. Besides being a highly skilled surgeon, he is a wonderful person. The medical care I have received from him is the best I've ever had in my life.

Read DSFacts.com and this board if you haven't. Many of us limit our carbs to around 50 a day during the weight loss period. Early out the challenge is to stay well hydrated.

The DS will change your life.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

2011Mommy
on 11/16/11 7:00 am
thank you for the recommendation! I love to hear that you received great care- it makes me feel more at peace to hear this. I have DSfacts.com saved in my favorites and often read through it.
"The DS will change your life." - this gave me goosebumps. I want that change so much!

NoMore B.
on 11/15/11 8:32 pm
 Hi,
I'm neither a LapBand revision, or a patient of Dr K, but I have been on these boards for a few years now and have watched many surgeons patients results and heard their feedback on their experiences..  You're very lucky to live so near to him, some people travel the country (or farther) to have surgery with him.  He's a Rock Star DS surgeon and you cant go wrong.
2011Mommy
on 11/16/11 7:00 am
thank you! I love myself a rock star =))) You look amazing by the way!
seekingsusan
on 11/15/11 8:47 pm - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Hello, I can speak about Dr. K., Personally, I am a pre-op. But my Ex and his wife and sister all had virgin  DS's via Dr. K (back in 2000 & 2002) They are all doing very well, virtually (ex gets kidney stones, mostly due to his diet) no complications. I met him during a consult in 2004 and loved him but I wasn't ready, still thought I could lose the weight through diet and exercise and I did lose 50 lbs (several times in fact) but I know now that I can't keep it off long enough to get all 200lbs lost.

Having read & learned about WLS for a while now, I think Dr. K is the best DS Doc you can get. You're lucky to have him so close. If he were closer for me I'd definitely choose him.

Good luck in your search,
S~

2011Mommy
on 11/16/11 7:04 am
Thank you! It is great to hear that his patients are doing so well! I understand what you mean about doing it yourself- although I had the lapband, every pound that I have lost in the last 6 years was through difficult dieting and hours of exercise... of course I could not keep  up with that long term- espcially now with a 6 month old baby... I am so tired of losing and gaining the same 40-60 pounds. It's sad and humiliating for me (I am the only overweight one in my big family and everyone wants to help me lose weight... umm no thanks lol).
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/15/11 10:34 pm, edited 11/16/11 12:53 am - Tuvalu

I got my band in 2002 and Keshishian yanked that sucker out and did a REAL wls--the DS--for me, six years ago.

He walks on water as a hobby, I'm sure.  Well, at least as far as surgery is concerned.  He may not be good at making pancakes or English grammar or something.