My husband is cooking, the tv has food commercials, and my son is sick

beth-28
on 11/15/11 7:32 am
And I'm on a liquid diet counting down to surgery. My willpower against the food I can conquer, however, making myself immune to what my son has is iffy. We don't even know what he has. His doctor says it's a cold, but I'm not sure. I am doing everything I can to make sure I don't catch it.

I've had my flu vaccine, I'm using Clorox wipes on everything he is touching, but I have to take care of him (while trying not to get too close). That sounds terrible...at least to me. It's hard for me to not cuddle and baby him....stamping down my motherly instinct is hard! He's 15 but he is my baby....my last child remaining at home. In my mind I know he can take care of himself somewhat, but he's so pitiful right now.

These 2 weeks can't go by fast enough!!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Valerie G.
on 11/15/11 7:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 If you start to feel the least bit "icky" (you know, that feeling you get before you actually get sick), eat a clove of garlic ASAP.  You don't have to chew it - just swallow like a pill, and do it one more time the next morning.  It's a trick I learned from a homeopathic doc a decade ago, and I swear I can count on one hand how many colds I've gotten since then.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

seekingsusan
on 11/15/11 8:30 am, edited 11/15/11 1:30 pm - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Uhm, this may seem like a dumb question but, a 2 week liquid diet? Did I miss something? 

So sorry your son is sick. I remember what that was like, with my daughter, but by the time she was 15, she didn't want babying, sick or not. That cold seems to be going around, lots of people at work were out with it last week and last night my nose started like a faucet and hasn't stopped (although it feels more like sinus/allergies). I'm able to keep moving as long as I don't get feverish, that will knock me on my butt everytime.  It's just hard to provide face to face customer service when you're wishing you could wear a nose tampon LOL.

Hope your days get easier, and your family gets well soon.
S~

edited for omitted info

beth-28
on 11/15/11 9:33 am
Hi Susan,

Yes, my surgeon has me on a 2 week liquid pre-op diet. I assume it's to shrink the liver and empty out my system. My son, who is a manly man when he is well, turns into a helpless baby when he is sick. He gets it honest....his dad is like that too. 

That's ok...everyone deserves to  be pampered occasionally. And this is the child I nearly lost (premature, nearly drowned/coma when he was 4) so I am a little protective of him. He's my miracle child....even after all of that he's now a healthy, extremely smart (honors), and active (horse riding/teaching) young man.

He doesn't get sick often, so when he does, it makes him miserable.

April M.
on 11/15/11 11:15 am - MI
I have yet to meet a man (or boy) that does not turn into a total whiny baby when sick. Dad, brothers, and husband included. Something about women's pain tolerance being necessarily higher because of childbirth, or some such.....

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

seekingsusan
on 11/15/11 1:30 pm - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Totally understandable.

Hope it is just a cold and he recovers quickly.
S~
beth-28
on 11/16/11 8:37 am
Whatever he has has dropped into his chest so he went back to the doctor today. Cough meds and an antibiotic. I hope he feels better soon. Thanks for the well wishes!