Inspirational RNY Profile... Yes, RNY

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/11 6:31 pm
 I'm not posting this to say one surgery is better than the other. But rather that each person should choose what works best for THEM. The RNY didn't work for me, but it did for this woman and I am so happy for her and her acheivements. Make sure you look at her pictures. It's a public profile.

www.obesityhelp.com/member/juliecarver/

I started this journey at 412+ and she started at around 470lbs. She is 7 years out and still maintaining her loss of over 350lbs. Incredible.

I kinda identified with the knee and hip replacement part of her story. Still working on the knees myself. It takes time.

It made me realize that for some of us, the weightloss will take time, but it can and will happen. I could be jealous or upset that I don't weigh as much as she does and I had a revision to a DS.
But our situations are so different, our bodies are different. Hell, everyone is different and we will proceed as our bodies etc. see fit.

How am "I" doing. Just starting to partially walk with a cane. Both knees are done. HORRAY !! Doing a LOT of  Physical Therapy and home exercises. Can't wait until I can add 'walking' to my exercise regime. 

I don't know how much I weigh right now. But, I figure I'm 220 or something. I've gained and need to kick start my DS again. It's hard. 

Mindset has to be there for me. I've been concentrating on my knees so much, I need to begin to put that determination towards avoiding the foods that cause me bathroom and weight issues. CARBS and SUGAR. GRRRR.

Been thru some depressive times over the year. Uncle just died a few weeks ago. The whole knee thing and a change in medication. Have to redo my BiPolar meds, another situation to conquor.
But I'll do it in time.

So, I've started with the protein shakes, still take all my vitamins and avoiding carbs. That's all I can do now. No bread, no flour and only Splenda. I can do it, I just have to commit to it, slowly.  Plus, more water, less Wylers Light. I don't think I get enough fluids.

Well, that's me. For now. Hope to be getting things back in control soon. Next year should ROCK !

Dana

Elia-B
on 11/14/11 10:44 pm
I agree.. the surgeries and their results are not a one size fits all.  I know a woman who has had tremendous and stable success with a lapband.  She's done phenomenally.  But, I knew going in, that for me...  I did not trust myself to succeed long term with something less than a DS.  And, I stand by that decision - for me. 

Good luck with your recovery!!!  Is swimming an option for you?  And, my Mom used a stationary bike when recovering from her knee surgery. It provided a good flex stretch as well as provided strengthening. 
provolisa
on 11/15/11 12:07 am - Provo, UT
I can sure relate to your update! I haven't had surgery yet, but I started my most recent efforts at 427 lbs. I have schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type (icky sounding name, but it's basically just one step worse than bipolar with psychotic features); and although I do really well with it now, I have been down the medication adjustmet road, and I know really well how miserable it can be. I also have two knees that are bone-on-bone, and that need to be replaced as soon as I can get my weight down about 100 lbs.

I am sorry that your uncle died so recently. Were you and he very close?

Although I never thought it would work, because I was afraid of the pain, I recently discovered in physical therapy that cycling is extremely good for my knees. I have also had a lot of success swimming, so I totally agree with Elia's suggestions.

I like how you wanted to share the profile of a super-successful lap bander, even though this is a DS forum. She is inspiring. If she could do that on a lap band, imagine what we can do with our cadillac DS's!

I wish you the best with your continued weight loss. I trust that you will do just fine!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

newyorkbitch
on 11/15/11 1:22 am
Not a lap band...an RNY.
(deactivated member)
on 11/15/11 3:59 am
It's an amazing story. And I just wanted to share it because it gave me the kick in the ass I needed to shake off the carb beast and re-think my eating.

I wish I could have had the DS and foregone the RNY, but so be it, it's the past. So, I had the revision to the DS and it was and will always be, the best decision of my life!!!