Almost 3 wks Post-OP and EVERYTHING gives me gas

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/14/11 10:14 am - Tuvalu

I've been using--albeit not terribly regularly--this one:

www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/11 1:35 am - Bayonne, NJ
You're early out. Yes, many of us develop a lactose intolerance post-DS. You might want to use heavy cream instead of milk,  since cream has almost no lactose. You can eat the lactaid pills with any dairy you consume, but cutting it out completely might help.

You also might want to switch to soy-based protein drinks for now, and remember, severely limit carbs, especially gluten-based carbs. Many of us also wind up gluten-intolerant.

Are you taking any probiotics?
Chad M.
on 11/14/11 1:36 am, edited 11/14/11 1:49 am - Indianapolis, IN
First this is very common during the immediate recovery phase, and second, no, it shouldn't last forever.

Something is causing the gas. It is mostly likely something you are eating. What are you cleared to eat now? If you can do, say, chicken breast, try a day of just chicken breast. Or just eggs. Whatever you are cleared for, but keep it VERY simple. No carbs, no fat, no lactose, nothing but simple and natural protein (no supplements either). If you don't get gas, then you know it was something that you cut out that was causing it.

If going to an elimination diet doesn't fix it, you could very well have a bacterial overgrowth that needs treatment. Do you also have any diarrhea? I did for several months post-op. Protein drinks caused it for me, and it didn't matter what kind--whey concentrate (which also bloated me), isolate, soy, egg white, whatever.
dlappin413
on 11/14/11 1:50 am - Woodstock, GA
I think I may have answered your questions but... I am cleared to eat a liquid pureed diet and to add food items slowly to see how my body reacts.  I cannot eat fresh fruit or veges, must be cooked, no breads.  Protein first, then veges.  No items with skins.  Ok for mashed potatos, ripe banans, melon, fish, chicken, beef (meats in that order).  I can't seem to get my head and taste buds around pureed fish so haven't gone there yet.  I move to pureed foods on Wed and plan to try some tuna salad pureed (light may and tuna), though I will try tuna alone first.
I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

Elizabeth N.
on 11/14/11 5:40 am - Burlington County, NJ
Plain tuna is a TERRIBLE idea for an early pureed choice. That's a very heavy food. You might try it with mayo to loosen it some. Why light mayo? We don't need that crap. Egg salad might also work.

Plain white fish is a good early protein for many people, also scallop or shrimp.

Knock off the fruits and veggies. Your diet progression is an RNY progression.

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/11 1:45 am - Bayonne, NJ
Cut out the veggies and starches!!!!
Panda ..
on 11/14/11 2:13 am
Valerie G.
on 11/14/11 3:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Whey protein causes gas in some, as do artificial sweeteners, which all of the SF stuff, including protein drinks, has.  You may want to eliminate it all and then introduce one at a time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lori F.
on 11/14/11 12:03 pm - Chula Vista, CA
 I'm not switched yet, but Ms. Cal Culator turned me onto the idea of artificial sweeteners botherin tummies. CHANGED MY LIFE. I always thought it was just lactose... now I am a happy camper. Check out the "-itols" like she said. Thank you Sue!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49