Disappointing appt. with Dr. Kemmeter

Carol P.
on 11/14/11 5:11 am
I've sat here and thought about it, and what I think I am going to do is to tell him either DS or nothing.  Then if it's "or nothing", I'll work on my insurance company to see if they'll let me go to Keshishian. I have Priority Health, which is a Michigan based HMO, but I will just have to try and go out of network if necessary.

I'm sure I only get one shot at WLS, and I want a DS.
determineddanni
on 11/14/11 5:53 am
I am a pre-ob newbie so what I say is not as valid as some but I did want to put my 2 cents out there. I am have also had my gallbladder removed and I am a lightweight. So here goes...

1st
My doctor did not say having my gallbladder out would cause any problems. Unless my surgeon who took it out used a machete lol I don't see where you would have to get an RNY because of your GB being taken out. If he is sticks with this theory I would get a second opinion from Rabkin or Dr. K.

2nd
I know all surgeons do different lengths of cc and different sizes of stomach but I would make sure to get the specifics of what exactly these sizes he has planned for you. Because if he gives you a huge stomach with a long long cc... well I know I would ask for a second opinion. My surgeon uses the same cc and stomach for every pt. He says that this combination has great success. Just because I am a lightweight doesn't mean i wouldn't eventually end up as a heavyweight later on... it is so subjective. I want a tool that will work on the long term.

I am not a medical proffesional by any means or a vetted DS'er but if this was me, I would not settle I would get a second opinion. Remember you have to live with this and make it work, don't you want the best?

PS
I know the surgeon that you are going to is a good DS surgeon and he has plenty of pt's on here as well and I do not doubt his skill. :) just to add that I don't want to sound like I am bashing him lol
hollyweasel
on 11/14/11 8:08 am - MI
I know we're on the other side of the state, but you should check out Dr. L (my doc).  He ONLY does DS , and he works on 'problem' and 'high-risk' individuals.  Let me know if you want his number.  He is in the Detroit area. :)

Holly

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

Carol P.
on 11/14/11 8:12 am
 Okay, if this doesn't work out, I'll get back with you. Thanks.
meredith_123
on 11/14/11 9:08 am - Waterford, MI
If you want the shorter common channel, he will give you it, just need to ask.  He also recommended that I get the 120cm to help prevent nutrient deficiencies down the road.  I told him I wanted the best chance at weight loss and he made mine 100cm.  I think I would make it very clear that I only want the DS and not the RNY.  I did meet someone that surgery the same week as me that went in for the DS and ended up with a sleeve because he had a lot of scarring inside.  He's doing really well with the sleeve.

I was able to get my iron up before surgery taking heme iron, here's a link to the stuff I ordered.  I took this for a couple months before surgery.  www.swansonvitamins.com/ET387/ItemDetail

I also had low Vit D - I started taking the 50,000 IU to get it up and was fine by my surgery date.  www.amazon.com/Bio-Tech-D3-50-000-100-Caps/dp/B000A0F2B2/ref =sr_1_1

Good luck to you.  He did my DS 2 months ago and so far I'm doing great, no complications.  My recovery was also way easier than I was preparing myself for. 

5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
lk1970
on 11/14/11 11:20 am
Carol! We must be nearly neighbors!
I am a DS patient of Dr Kemmeter... First of all, his first concern is your safety! Second, he wants you to be happy. I think sometimes he wants his DS"ers to be ultra fanatics about their DS... have you shown him how much you want the DS? What about going with a sleeve as a plan B? Was that suggested?? He will never guarantee you a DS, but I wouldn't agree with RNY as a back up plan. Maybe you should meet with him again and tell him your concerns? Good luck and let me know if you need anything!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

KarinV
on 11/14/11 12:03 pm
I had an open cholecystectomy and saw Dr. Keshishian. He didn't even blink at it but did say that since I have so many scars from it that he would have to do my surgery open instead of lap because of the scar tissue. He never suggested that it would cause any sort of problem with the surgery itself.
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/11 8:08 am - OH
Well this makes me nervous because I have my appt with Dr. Kemmeter in 3 weeks and I have 43 BMI and a prior abdominal surgery Please keep me posted about what he says when you talk to him again. I'm certainly not going in for a RNY either!
Carol P.
on 11/16/11 11:01 am
 I will have an EGD done before then, but I don't know how much more we'll be discussing it besides at the surgery. I'm going to go to him and I already told him I don't want an RNY, so I guess he'll just have to close me up if he can't do the DS. Good luck to you.  I'd be interested in knowing what he tells you.