one more milestone...

Jeanne77
on 11/12/11 12:14 pm - Sterling Heights, MI

I know I already told you the insurance called and said I was approved Monday, but, I'm even more relieved today the approval letter came. 24 days to go!!!!

Elia-B
on 11/12/11 10:43 pm
 Congrads!

Have a selection of free flowing liquids in the house for after the surgery.  I developed an aversion to chicken broth and fruit flavored drinks (everything I had planned and provided myself to drink).  The first little bit woudl have been a lot easier on me if I'd had some milk or something else with some calories handy.  I got in maybe 100 cals a day for almost a week.  I felt horrible just from the lack of cals. 

And, talk to someone ahead of times to see if they will be wiling to run out to the store on a whim so that you can try this or that as you search for what you can handle.  

Good luck!
Jeanne77
on 11/12/11 11:45 pm - Sterling Heights, MI
Thanks Elia,
I want to make sure I am understanding your advice. I have acquired quite a variety of protein packed drinks. Powders, concentrates, premixed. Shakes, drinks and soups. When you say free flowing liquids do you mean things not necessarity protein but just for hydration?
I appreciate your help, I'm all for being as prepared as possible for the LEAST amount of discomfort.
Elia-B
on 11/13/11 12:01 am
Right after my surgery, I was allowed free flowing liquids (liquids that flowed freely like water).  I had protein drinks ready for me at home and chicken broth ready, too.  But, in the hospital, things started out great with the chicken broth they were giving me and the pre-made free flowing protein drinks I brought with me.  The protein drinks I had brought and the powder I had at home (that mixed up like coolaide versus a milkshake, not thick.. more like water).. they were all fruit flavored.  Well.. like I said, things started out great in the hospital until they took me off the IV.  At that point they gave me some liquid tylenol.  There was something about it.  It was awful... just awful.  And it triggered an aversion to the types of flavors that I was eating in the hospital - chicken broth and fruit flavored protein drinks. So, when I got home from the hospital, that's all I had of a free flowing nature to drink -- chicken broth and fruity flavored protein drinks.  I couldn't stomach them.  The thought of them made me nauseous.  If I had had milk available, it would have been a free flowing liquid with some calories to it.  At about half a week of getting in almost no cals, I felt shaky, listless, awful.  I felt like a starving person and I don't mean hunger.  I eventually got some cottage cheese and drank ONE spoonful of the liquid that collects on it.  It was night and day.  All the sudden I felt so much better!!!  Just that one spoonful of caloric substance!  So... I had a hard time of it early on but in retrospect it hadn't needed to be so hard.  There are things I could have done differently.  So... have a variety of free flowing (flows like water) liquids on hand in case there are flavors or textures you just can't deal with for awhile post surgery.

I did make it through.    And you will, too.  I was miserable until they took the drain out but part of that is because I don't do well on the type of pain killer they gave me.  I should have opted for a different pain killer - and I could have.  It's just a personal lesson to me on that count.  Anyway... it does get better.   And later on, that early transition period becomes just a blink of an eye.   
Elia-B
on 11/13/11 12:38 am
 Also, something I forgot to mention..  I couldn't benge eat after wls so I compensated by benge buying at the grocery store.  I would buy food and end up giving it away.  Just a head's up on that in case you find yourself being affected the same way.