Pre-op Low Iron Question

Carol P.
on 11/11/11 2:51 pm
 My surgeons office had me do blood tests and I see the surgeon on Monday.  He sent the results to my PCP too, and my PCP called to tell me that I had iron deficient anemia and is sending me to get a colonoscopy (ugh!)

I havent gotten approval for my surgery yet, so I don't know when my surgery will be, including whether or not I'll have to wait through a 6 month supervised diet.  Should I ask my surgeon for an iron transfusion, or can you get your levels up by iron pills in a couple of months?

I have always been borderline or fully anemic every time I've ever had it tested, which isn't that often.  The last time I had it tested about 13 years ago, I was told to take iron pills, and I did for some amount of time, but there was never any followup, so I don't know if I've been anemic since then.  I think the reason my PCP is so concerned is because I've had an endometrial ablation about 10 years ago and haven't had a period since, so I'm not bleeding every month.
MajorMom
on 11/11/11 5:46 pm - VA
If you've always had iron issues and you're already low, I'd push for infusions. You'll need to be in tip top condition when your surgery rolls around. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 11/12/11 1:24 am - Burlington County, NJ
You need infusions. Do NOT proceed to surgery without good iron levels. This is crucial.

Carol P.
on 11/12/11 7:55 am
 Thanks you guys for your input.  I'll be sure to discuss it with my surgeon.  I definitely will get it to a good level before my surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 12:23 pm - WAKE FOREST, NC