Has anyone tried GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60?

beth-28
on 11/11/11 8:18 am
I went to the local mall today, and stopped in GNC to look at what they offered. I spoke with a sales person about wls and that I was looking for whey isolate protein with low carbs and no sugar alcohols.

She pointed out the GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60.

It has
280 calories,
1 gram of fat
7 carbs
1 fiber
2 sugar
60 protein
280 mg calcium
300 mg sodium
450 mg potassium

They had some chocolate samples made so I tried it. It wasn't bad at all! It tasted like chocolate milk to me. I had thought protein drinks would be thick and chalky...I was pleasantly surprised. 

So, has anyone tried this? Would this be a good choice for one of my protein supplements?  
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Julie R.
on 11/11/11 8:26 am - Ludington, MI
 I dunno....with a name like that....it sounds kinda....dangerous, LOL

Seriously though, it is anecdotally stated that we absorb no more than 30 g of protein at a time......so you'd probably want to split the quantity.

My only caveat is that you might want to try a sample post-DS before plopping down $665 for a janitor in a drum-sized tub of that stuff.    Many whey shakes give me terrible gas.      

Also, in my experience, GNC is on the pricey side.  I have better luck ordering from large online sources, like Vitalady, Vitacost and through Amazon.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

beth-28
on 11/11/11 8:51 am
Hi Julie,

Yes, I would split it, and I still want to get samples from VitaLady. I was able to try this stuff before I invested any money in it, that's why I wanted to see if this would be something I could use.

What other protein is good for us, if not whey?

I wouldn't get a big size of anything yet (lol...much less $600 worth of stuff)...... idk if I even have $600 after paying for this surgery!  I'm just trying to get stuff ready....I start my pre-op liquid diet Monday. Should I start drinking a protein shake daily while on the liquid diet?

dls77
on 11/11/11 8:57 am, edited 11/11/11 8:59 am
I have used it, but I get the smaller $30 bag.  It's okay.  Not my favorite.  I actually use 100% Whey by EAS from Sam's Club and mix it up a bit worldaccordingtoeggface.com style.    Protein shakes are very hit or miss and definitely boil down to personal preference.
*ETA*  I am post Lap-Band, not DS
Julie R.
on 11/11/11 8:59 am - Ludington, MI
 Different doctors have different requirements, but I was on a two-week pre-op diet of protein shakes purchased through my doctors office.   They gave me diarrhea, so their dietitian told me that I could switch to another product, and I drank Atkins shakes pre-op.    We absorb whey protein optimally, specifically whey isolate.    Some people just can't tolerate any of it and switch to soy or egg white protein powder.    I've had the best luck with Designer Whey and Syntrax Nectars.   I like the Designer Whey because it's not too terribly sweet and doesn't have that whey-y taste.   I get most of my protein through food these days, however.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Elizabeth N.
on 11/11/11 9:18 am - Burlington County, NJ
I use it, but only a scoop or a scoop and a half at a time for 20-30 grams of protein.

If you want a ready to drink supplement from GNC, try the 50 gram slam and see what you think.

beth-28
on 11/11/11 9:42 am
Thanks Elizabeth. This stuff was the first protein drink I tried. I'll definately branch out. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Dudette
on 11/11/11 12:42 pm, edited 11/12/11 5:12 am - Edina, MN
I tried it for the first time a few days ago. Hated it. I didn't like the taste. Post-op I bought a small bag of the Isopure Dutch Chocolate and a small bag of the Wheybolic Chocolate. I used up all the Isopure first. I liked it. It tasted similar to SlimFast to me. When I ran out of Isopure earlier this week I made a Wheybolic shake and ended up dumping half of it down the drain. I also did NOT like that I had to use 3 scoops of powder to make a 12 oz. shake with Wheybolic versus only 2 scoops with Isopure.

The great thing about GNC is that you can take any product back you don't like within 30 days... no questions asked. I traded in my bag of Wheybolic for a larger tub of the Isopure and they didn't give me any grief. Simple transaction.

That being said, I liked the stats on the Wheybolic better than Isopure. It has 10g more of protein than the Isopure and more calories (280 vs. 220 per shake) and I am struggling post-op to get in enough calories each day to keep my energy up. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this feedback helps. I think either one is a good protein shake if you like the taste.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/12/11 6:18 am - Burlington County, NJ
So put a little more Isopure powder in each shake.

Dudette
on 11/12/11 8:14 am - Edina, MN
 Brilliant. That never even occured to me. I guess I'm still pretty new at all this. Thanks for the tip!