Lap-Band revision to DS anyone?

dls77
on 11/11/11 7:27 am
Hi!  I'm new here.  I had a Lap Band placed in April 2010 in Topeka, KS.  I moved in May 2010 to the Florida panhandle where I did not receive any follow up until the end of September due to difficulty finding someone to see me.  Well fast forward another year and we have moved again, this time to the Baltimore area and again have not had any follow up since May until this week.

I finally got in with someone and the jury is still out on whether I will continue with this practice, but she did order an upper GI study and it is showing some dilation of the esophagus.  The radiologist did not recommend any more fills for fear of making it worse but at the point I am at now, I do not have much restriction (bread is the only off limit food besides reheated meat).  I have not had any real weight loss since June 2010.  I have been stuck between 193-198 the whole time (highest weight was 224).

So I am considering a revision and am wondering if I am a canidate for this surgery and what experiences any of you have revised from a Lap Band have had. 

Thanks
MajorMom
on 11/11/11 8:38 am - VA
"Prettypixels" is one of my surgeon's most recent band to DS revision patients. I'll let her know she needs come by and talk to you. She's in MD and I'm in northern VA, not far at all from you.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

dls77
on 11/11/11 8:53 am
Thanks!  I appreciate it.
prettypixels
on 11/11/11 10:17 am
Hi! I am almost three weeks out band to ds, and life is ever so much better already! It is hard to believe I spent so long being strangled by my band!
dls77
on 11/13/11 8:44 am
So glad to hear it's working for you!  I'll be starting the journey this week to see if I can be revised.
prettypixels
on 11/13/11 9:02 am
 If you have any specific questions let me know.  I am still a noob though :)  But even at 3 weeks (almost) out, I can say that the quality of life with the DS is light years better than with the band.  I was able to actually GO OUT.  To DINNER.  With friends, and you know!  I ate some actual food!  Without having to run and throw up which was totally the norm for me for years and years. 

So, yeah.  I am thrilled so far.  I keep being like... hey I did not get stuck/throw up!  WOOOO!  :) 
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Helinut
on 11/12/11 7:52 am
I am 2 and a half months out after lap to DS. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I started at 220 and my loss has been slow, but starting as a light weight they say it comes off slower. I am 35 pounds down and only 25 left.
dls77
on 11/13/11 8:43 am
Good to know.  Thank you for sharing.  I've tried not to beat myself up too much with my band....over a year and a half out and only 30 pounds gone.  However, I don't feel I've ever been in the green zone and now, after the UGI Friday, don't think I ever will be.  It's just another failed diet to me.  :-(

I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow to see if my insurance would cover revision since now I'm not technically 100+ overweight. 
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/13/11 1:25 pm - Tuvalu

Most insurances go by BMI rather than "100 pounds overweight."  That hundred pounds can be two different things on two patients who are 5'1" and 6'9".
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/13/11 1:21 pm - Tuvalu

I'm almost six years out from a band-to-DS revision.

Getting that piece of **** yanked out was a really good day in my life.