Feel good 1 day out

sandyv63
on 11/11/11 2:05 am - Naples, FL
 First of all, thank you all for the well wishes.  It really perked me up. Right after post op I felt truly awful. Thank goodness it didn't last. Drinking is no problem at all. Pain is limited to my abdomen when I take a deep breath. Dr. K said my surgery was enjoyable for him and he had a lot of fun. Yeah, sounded kinda odd to me too. My gallbladder was removed but my appendix wasn't because of its location. I was more concerned with the gallbladder anyway. Dr. K prefers to do a 75cc common channel but I got  a 100cc common channel because my BMI going in was only 38.7. I am fine with that. Actually I was kinda concerned about a 75cc channel for me so I'm actually relieved.

My only real complaint is the fatigue. It is impossible to sleep around here. Speaking of which, I need a nap. I will update again later.
lwoznick
on 11/11/11 2:27 am - Green Bay, WI
Welcome to the Dark Side! Glad to hear you're feeling pretty good so early out. But continue to take it easy and don't overdue it! If you have anyone there who can bring you some ear plugs...those foam ones you can buy at any drugstore, that may help you to shut the noise out and get some sleep. I bring them anytime I have to be hospitalized overnight....and an eye mask too to shut out light. I hope you continue to have a smooth, speedy recovery!

Warmest wishes,

Lisa

HW 293, SW 282, LW (Post RNY) 202, SW Pre-DS 242, CW 219 GW 140
Julie from Ludington, MI is my Angel!

seekingsusan
on 11/11/11 3:44 am - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Sandy,
That's awesome that things are going smooth for you. Dr K is a great guy, and yeah, that comment sounds just like him! lol. My ex and his wife had him for Open DS's back in 2000. I had a consult with him in '04 and like him alot but, I was still in the "I can exercise these 200 lbs away" mode. ;-) Well, live & learn. If I was closer, I'd bring you those earplugs. Wishing you continued ease in your recovery..
S~

RKLC2002
on 11/11/11 7:23 am - Omaha, NE
Good for you!  I will warn you that I felt fantastic the day of my surgery.  Heck, I was ready to get up and walk, but they didn't have me walk yet.  I think it was because I was still under the influence at the time.  : )  But, day 2 and 3 were really bad for me.  I had the NG tube and I kept getting nauseated.   But, at this point (4 weeks ago today), I really can't say that I've had any regrets yet.   Today was my first day back to work (desk job) and I did have to come home to nap for an hour before I could regain my focus.

I hope that you continue to feel as well as you do now!!!

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

J J the Jet Plane
on 11/11/11 7:35 am
Glad you are awake enough to use technology! 
Get some rest girl you are going to need it.

Rest and sip! Heal well.  Make the nurses help you if you need it.

Be well
JJ
sandyv63
on 11/11/11 9:35 am - Naples, FL
 Well I can sit up now without too much pain  but that's due to the meds, no doubt. Speaking of which, I had a strange reaction to the Toridol I think it was. It's the pain med they add to the iv every few hours. The first  dose made me shiver and my teeth were chattering. Nothing the next dose but this last dose the chattering and shivering started up again. It starts immediately after the dose is added to the iv. The first nurse wasn't concerned but this nurse sure was. Toridol was  noted on my chart now as an allergy. She also called Dr. K and he won't give it to me anymore.  I have to rely on the morphine drip. He had her add some Benadryl to the iv so of course  i'm tired again.  

I just had dinner, which consisted of I cup of broth and a small diet yellow jell-0. The broth was all gone within 20 minutes. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen but I'm not complaining. The lemon jell-o is awful though. Reminds me of the cleaners they use around here. 

Anyway, I am really beat and the nurse has to change my gown because I am draining quite a bit. I'll be back, as Ahnold would say.
J G.
on 11/11/11 3:16 pm
Sandy , I google for the side effects of Toradol.  The only mention of chills is in how it would be a sign of infection which does not seem to be the case for you.  Since it happened right after administration, it does seem to be more of a reaction to it.    I read where it is just for short-term use and can cause bleeding of the stomach or intestines.  That may explain why Dr. Gagner didn't want to use it for me.

Glad your pain is getting better, bummer about the jello, though.

- Jenny
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/11/11 11:21 am - Tuvalu

Glad to hear all is well.

Lori F.
on 11/11/11 11:37 am - Chula Vista, CA
Congratulations! I'm impressed about your coherence! Keep on posting. And feel well!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/11 3:21 pm, edited 11/11/11 3:25 am

Welcome to the Dark Side! If your program is like mine was, nurses come to get you up and walk every two hours, and that's two hours after they bring you back form recovery! If you have a pain pump, wait till they take that bad boy off! I actually had some withdrawal from that! Crying jags!

I hope your journey is smooth and easy!