Don't qualify for DS

Toy T.
on 11/10/11 10:06 am
DS on 02/22/12
Just wanted to thank everyone for all their advice and help but I will be leaving this board since I had my visit w/ Dr. Roslin today and I do not qualify for DS. He said there is not enough room and he would have to put the staple line into my esophogous(sp) and then I would have acid reflux for the rest of my life so my quality of life would not be the same. I, of course cried on the way home and it made it worse bc I had brought my mother and niece with me. He told me to come back in a year. I said to myself with the amount of weight I am gaining my quality of life in a year would be so low I will probably have sunken into a deep depression and will not want to leave the house. I don't know what he thinks a year would do. I am just pissed bc seriously if he would have read my file before I got there, I would rather have been told on the phone then having to drag my family there and for them to see me break down. I did get to meet Kenya so I am happy for that. I wish you guys all the best and good luck in your journey. 

NoMore B.
on 11/10/11 10:12 am
Dr Roslin is very selective about who he revises from a RNY to a DS.  I'm not saying he's right or wrong in your case, because I dont know, but why dont you get another opinion?  You should call for a phone consult with Dr K or Dr Rabkin in California.  You could have your imaging studies sent to them.  I would at least do that before you give up, you have nothing to lose.
Toy T.
on 11/10/11 10:18 am
DS on 02/22/12
 I was thinking of doing that but then I was thinking well hes the expert and another doctor will probably just say the same thing. And now my Mom is worried I am going to die if I have this surgery and he said he wouldn't recommend any other surgery for me bc of the potential scar tissue from those surgeries will not allow me to get the DS. Now do I just call them up and ask them for a phone consult and do I tell them I already saw Dr. Roslin and just would like to get their opinion if it is possible. 
Yehuda G.
on 11/10/11 10:29 am
While Dr. Roslin is a great surgeon, Dr. Keshishian and Rabkin are willing and more able to do more complicated revisions. Dr. K has successfully revised many hard cases where other surgeons were not willing to operate. I would consult with him before giving up or waiting a darn year. www.dssurgery.com/

Best of luck.
Toy T.
on 11/10/11 10:36 am
DS on 02/22/12
 Thanks. I will call in the morning. I have my Upper GI report. Dr. Roslin said after my CT Scan he thought he would have enough room but the upper gi confirmed that he doesn't have any room to manuever and he doesn't want to risk it. His assistant tried and asked him if there was a way around it but he said no its too dangerous. Thank you. I will give both of them a call in the morning and see how it would work. I wonder would my insurance cover it if the doctor is all the way in California. 
sara3
on 11/10/11 10:38 am
I am so sorry this is happening to you, it must be very painful, my heart goes out to you. I am hoping to have surgery with Dr Gagner in December after a long long road.

I am a band to DS revision and I have yet to get through my pre op tests, one of which is an endoscopy. I can only imagine how devastated I would feel if I was precluded from surgery due to scar tissue or the like.

I met with Dr Gagner recently he has a great reputation and always answers emails in a timely manner, perhaps he is worth reaching out to? I know he is extremely experienced and is one of the top people for revision patients.

Best of luck to you
zuzupetals2u2
on 11/10/11 11:46 am - Sedona, AZ
don't leave here and don't give up either - it's just a setback - you will find the right surgeon if you are just persistent and keep looking - I personally don't believe it's impossible for you and neither should you!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Toy T.
on 11/10/11 11:59 am
DS on 02/22/12
I am going to call tomorrow and also see if I can go to NY and pick up my records instead of waiting for them in mail. I found out even though I have HMO my plan allows me to have access to national network and as long as Dr. K or Dr. Rabkin particpate in plan then my insurance will allow me to go to them. I gave myself a headache from crying so I am headed to bed but I will see what tomorrow will bring. 
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 12:08 pm - San Jose, CA
Rabkin doesn't really participate in any insurance plans, although he has a contract with NorCal Kaiser to do their DSs.

Keshishian is probably your best bet.
Toy T.
on 11/10/11 1:23 pm
DS on 02/22/12
 Thanks Diana. I will try Dr K. tomorrow I see Dr. Rabkin participates in Carecredit which I have so if all else fails look like I have the option to self-pay if things don't work out w/ Dr. K.