meeting with Dr Roslin today

crothers2003
on 11/9/11 10:10 am - Scottsville, VA
 I met with Dr Roslin today after 8 hr ride to and 8 hour ride home. After looking at my CT, he stated it looked very strange. My duodenum is enlarged and very thickened. He said he was not sure what was going on with this. Also my remnant stomach was enlarged as well but he saw no fistula. My pouch is about 8cm and very wide. It also looked as if my pyloric valve is not functioning properly. He stated that the previous surgeon could have clipped my Vagus nerve when doingmy RNY and if this were the case would not make a good candate for the revision to the BPD/DS. He was going to check with one of the radiologists there at Lenox Hill to see if he knew what was going on. With all of this going on, he stated that this type of revision would have a high complication risk, apprx 2%. I have already been pre approved by my insurance company. So totally bummed right now!!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 10:23 am - San Jose, CA
See if you can get a second opinion from Keshishian or Rabkin - you should be able to send them the CT results.
larra
on 11/9/11 10:25 am - bay area, CA
I don't know what the enlarged duodenum/remnant stomach means either, hopefully he will be able to get some answers for you on that.
    I would say, though, that a 2% complication rate for conversion from RNY to DS is very low, not high. It's a very complex operation and certainly higher risk than a virgin DS. 

Larra
jlflbf
on 11/14/11 12:47 am - Shore Area, NJ

PLEASE listen to Dr. Roslin, my friend was supposed to have a revision to DS from RNY...however ended up losing her entire stomach due to no blood flow.

Dr. Roslin said it was because her previous surgeon had cut an artery (sp) to her stomach.

I am having him do a couple of other tests on me...before I go ahead with the revision.

He is a great surgeon and is just looking out for his patients.

Best of luck!!!