I am trying to "plan" as best I can...

beth-28
on 11/8/11 1:15 pm

...for my DS. My hubby has started a class (for a promotion) at the local nuclear plant that he works at. I wanted to have my DS done before it started so he wouldn't have to be stressed out worrying about me. Alas, it wasn't meant to be, so my sisters are stepping up to help me so that he can concentrate on this class.

He will be there the day of surgery, and will come to see me after his class daily, until I get released from the hospital. Then my younger sister (who's a L&D nurse) will come from North Carolina to stay with me for a few days to help me out as needed. If I need help for longer than a few days, my older sister can help out some, she's a teacher so I really hate to ask her to take time away from them.

So my real question to everyone is, how long did you stay in the hospital? I know that it's YMMV type thing, and that things may change if there are complications and all, but I just wanted to try to get  some idea of what I might be looking at. Thanks for any help!

When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

J G.
on 11/8/11 1:35 pm
they let me out early for good behavior. Ha! .... 2 1/2 days, lap,  Jenny
teachmid
on 11/8/11 8:23 pm - OKC, OK
Open revision ....4 days. Ask you surgeon about what the normal stay is for his patients.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

fullhousemom
on 11/8/11 9:09 pm
I had my DS on a Tues morning. My husband was with me the day of surgery. By Friday evening they were ready to release me, but my husband couldnt pick me up til Sat morning, so they let me stay. I requested no visitors during my stay and I loved it. No one to "entertain" when they came to see me, no one to keep me from sleeping!  The pain killers made me sleepy and I was able to sleep when I wanted and watch a little tv when I wanted. I would say there is no reason to have your hubby come see you every night. You will, however, greatly enjoy having your sisters take care of you for the week following surgery!  Best wishes! 
mrsannie
on 11/8/11 9:40 pm
Congrats on your decision!  It will suck at first, but soon you will say, "I wish I did this sooner!"

I was an open revision from a failed Crap-Band to a DS. I was in Hospital for 5 days with no complications.  I also wanted no visitors except my husband a few times, I needed the sleep and the pain meds were wonderful!  I was in ICU for 3 days then transferred to a reg room for the rest of my time there. 

This is major surgery, and it really knocked me for a loop!  It took me a good 5 weeks before I started to feel like me again.  Abdominal surgery is really rough, you use your stomach muscles for everything, and not being able to use them it tough.  After I was released from the hospital my husband (who is just wonderful!) worked from home for a week, then the next week he got the kids off to school and went in late.  The next week I was able to get the kids off myself, but then spent the rest of the day vegging on the couch or in bed.  I took frequent naps and needed to rest all the time.  The recovery was much tougher than I thought, but I would do it again in a minute!  In fact, I too always say "I wish I did it sooner!"

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
beth-28
on 11/9/11 1:55 am
Thanks for the replies. I have my pre-op appointment on the 22nd, and I do have a few questions for him so I'll add that one. It's not a big deal...I mean, I'm going to stay as long as I need to. I just wanted to give my sister a rough guess as to when to ask off for.

The "no visitors" is exactly what I was thinking! I worked at a hospital for 6 years so I know sleep is very elusive there, and there is no way I'll feel like entertaining. I'm only traveling 2 hours away, but I don't want anyone but my hubby and my sons (if they want to come...if they don't, thats fine with me). My hubby can update the rest of my family while I am in the hospital.

When I get home the "no visitors" rule will be enforced with the exception of my mom and sisters. My friends, whom I love dearly, will have to wait awhile longer.

I am soooo excited for my new life to begin! Even though I am considered a "lightweight", I want to get my diabetes into remission so I can get rid of that "shadow" hanging over my shoulder. I lost my grandmother to it, my aunt lost her leg and then her life to it, my uncle has had a kidney removed and now is in the last stages of renal failure with his remaining kidney, and my mother has been struggling to keep her diabetes in control unsuccesfully for years.

I'm ready to live!!!!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

mrsannie
on 11/9/11 9:21 pm
I was a "Lightweight" too, BMI of 41.  Now I am a BMI of 26!

People say it is the easy way out, the decision and surgery are in no way easy, but life afterward really is!  Eat well, take your vitamins, get some exercise and your DS will do the rest!  Life on this side is pretty great!

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
prettypixels
on 11/13/11 12:37 am
 I enjoyed my visitors.  My daughter felt very important to hold my hand so I could take a lap around the nurses station.  It helped me have the motivation to get up and walk, more than just to the bathroom and back.  :)  Their visits were pretty short though, they would come see me, hug me, take me for a walk and then leave and come back several hours later... I'd sleep in between.  The morphine kept me pretty dozy so sleeping was not a problem for me.  
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Renfairewench
on 11/9/11 3:23 am

Open revision from RNY to DS. Original stay was supposed to be 4 to 5 days, however, I had a lot of post op complications and ended up in the hospital for 30 days, 17 of them in the critical care unit.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

April M.
on 11/9/11 12:05 pm - MI
Open for both part 1 and part 2, 5 day stays both times. I was glad that hubbs didn't come visit everyday... it was WAY too hard to worry about entertaining him and taking care of me. Between hubbs, the in-laws, and my parents, I had 1 visitor every day, and honestly, it was exhausting! The only thing I missed during the second stay was a visitor to break up the day (had a couple days with no visitors), but honestly, I slept and walked and watched TV.... nothing I couldn't do alone.

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/