Ferritin 15 pre-op

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 8:36 am
I got a few of my labs back so far from my baselines.  My ferritin is 15.  Still within normal range, but no good if you ask me!  I fear that iron is going to be very hard for me to keep up after surgery.  I plan to take iron until then.  What is the best iron that is easiest to absorb post-op?  I want to avoid infusions if at all possible.
MajorMom
on 11/7/11 8:52 am - VA
With a 15 ferritin it may be too late to get your levels up with oral supplements alone. But, what I found to work for me was 300mg of Tender iron (carbonyl) with vitamin C and later in the day 2 Proferrin tablets snapped in 2 pieces. Vitalady carries these but you may be able to get a prescription for Proferrin Forte.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 8:56 am
I'll have to call tomorrow and see if I can get a prescription.  The only ones I have at the house here are Ferro-Sequels, which are timed release.  They are 50mg.  I will use those up, since they will do me no good after surgery.  I have 3 weeks to try and get them up before surgery.  On the Ferro-Sequels box it says 1 per day.  How many do you think I should take?  I have had no malabsorptive surgery thus far.
MajorMom
on 11/7/11 9:03 am - VA
Best ask the office tomorrow. I have no experience with low pre-op iron levels. Maybe someone else will chime in and help us out.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

clpeltz
on 11/7/11 10:32 am
Try and get in to see Dr Vercelotti at the U.  He is a hematologist at the Masonic Cancer Center and he is VERY INFORMED about the DS and what we need.  He will be able to get your levels up.  I asked Dr. B and Donna about Proferrin Forte and they didn't know what I was talking about....pooh, so don't expect to get a script from them for that.  Also, ask for IV Iron Dextrose or IV Iron Dextran when you ask about the infusion.  The one that Dr. B gave me pre-op was not the right one and did nothing for me.  Dr. B is a GREAT surgeon, but I'll stick with Dr Vercelotti when it comes to my blood, lol.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 10:44 am
Ohhhh....I wonder if he will come see me in the hospital when I'm there?  I have surgery Tuesday so probably will be in until the weekend so I won't be able to go see him after.  Thanks so much for the info Christina....I'll bookmark this thread so I can pull it up in the hospital ;-) 
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 8:08 am
I called and emailed Dr. Vercellotti today.  I hope he gets back to me!  Thanks for the info ;-)
Emily F.
on 11/7/11 9:10 am
I would get an infusion if you mean you are about to have ds surgery. It takes a while to bring up that number w supplements.
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 9:34 am
I have surgery on the 29th.  They said it isn't low enough for an infusion since it is still in "normal" range.  :(
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 9:54 am
Sounds like you are gong to have trouble with them (whoever they are).  A ferritin of 15 is NOT good to go into any surgery with.  You might need to enlist a hemotologist for your post-op needs.

Michele