Good news and bad news

Jeanne77
on 11/7/11 7:00 am - Sterling Heights, MI
Talk about a roller coaster day! ! At 3pm I got the news from Empire BC/BS that they have approved my DS. That's the good news.
At 4pm at my follow-up to my stress test, the cardiologist informed me I need a caterization ASAP. If I require a stent, the surgery will have be put off 5weeks.
Better than a heart attack on the table though, right?
ChristyTal
on 11/7/11 7:05 am
Inconvenient as this is, I think you were blessed to get the news.  Hang in there!

Christy

sandyv63
on 11/7/11 7:48 am - Naples, FL
 Found a parathyroid tumor during my pre-op testing and that delayed me as well. It was a good find though as it caused my body to steal calcium from my bones and it caused my vit D levels to drop way too low. If I had the surgery without removing the tumor and without raising my vit D, I would have been in big trouble soon afterwards.  That was in March. I am finally getting the DS on Thursday.
Jeanne77
on 11/7/11 9:20 am - Sterling Heights, MI
Good luck on Thurs. I will look forward to hearing how it goes. You must be over the moon excited that it's finally here!
sandyv63
on 11/7/11 10:06 am - Naples, FL
 You'd think so but no. I've managed to make myself sick with a migraine because of my nerves.
Jeanne77
on 11/7/11 10:20 am - Sterling Heights, MI
Understandable, maybe you can get a massage tomorrow or Weds. to relax you a  bit. Rest up be strong for Thurs.
DianaRR
on 11/7/11 9:00 am - CA
It is great they found the problem before you went through the surgery. Congrats on your approval.

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 2:04 pm - San Jose, CA
Getting a DS probably saved your life BEFORE you even got it.  You could have dropped dead at any moment from an undiagnosed stenosed cardiac artery.

However - as a note to the pre-ops - our heart tests are sometimes false positives because of fat over our chests.  An abnormal reading does not always for sure reflect a problem!

Two good friends of mine, just the same age as me, had their DSs several months and a couple of years after me, respectively.  I, by the way, sailed through all my pre-op stuff, just days before my 50th birthday.  My male friend, who was 435 lbs and had always been supersized, was told the day before his DS that he needed a catheterization, based on his EKG or stress test (I can't remember which).  He was on a short clock, both because he had to travel for his DS - and he was self-employed to boot, so he had to clear the decks to get the DS scheduled - and because his health insurance was about to run out.  If he had to delay his surgery a couple of months, it might well not happen.  He passed the cardiac catheterization with flying colors, and went into surgery secure in the knowledge (which he most CERTAINLY was not secure about previously!) that he was NOT a heart attack waiting to happen, and he did fabulously with his DS.

My other friend had the DS a couple of years later, and was a short woman, also over 400 lbs.  She needed a cateterization at the last minute as well, and was found to be near occluded in at least two cardiac arteries.  She had a 95% blockage in one.  She had to be stented, and put on thrombolytics and her surgery was delayed 2 months.  She probably would have died on the table if they hadn't treated the blockage first.  She did fabulously with her DS (and the ***** now weighs less than me, sans plastics ...).
Diane Davis
on 11/7/11 2:49 pm
I'm so happy they found this problem before you had your DS, it probably saved your life!

God knows what he's doing, we just have to have faith and trust in him!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
hollyweasel
on 11/8/11 12:34 am - MI

Someone is lookin' out for you, friend!

Get better, try to relax, surgery will be waiting there for you when you are ready.  These tests are a really good check up on everything.

Holly

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386