Anyone know how to read a DEXA scan? w/pics

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 6:06 am
Here is the other...hopefully not too blurry!

gak
on 11/8/11 10:08 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 These are all results per spinal level... basically  z scores are you in comparison to others your age. 

T scores between +1 and - 1 show normal bone density based on a 30 yr old. I do not know your age.

Osteopenia are scores between -1 and -2.5 and I do not see any of those minus signs. So that is a good thing. Wonder if they forgot to give you the over all summary page that tells the overall average of the bones. 

Less than -2.5 is osteoporosis and I do not see that either.. GOOD. Basically the higher the minus number the worse it is. Since you have no minuses, you are probably doing well. But keep an eye on it yearly. Mine changed quickly. I just had my bone scan for this year and I am awaiting results. 

For the BMD ( bone mineral density) you want numbers of +1.0 or more. 

hope that helps some 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 10:14 am
That helps a lot!  Thanks so much!  Did you see the picture int he post aboce this one witht he femur stuff?  They also just sent me a page today with my bloodwork that reads:

"Bone mineral density was measured with DXA at the lumbar spine and both hips. 
Average of L1-L4 was 1,406 g/sq cm, with a T score of 1.7 and Z score of 1.7. 
Left total hip reading was 1.114 g/sq cm, with a T score of 0.8 and a Z score of 0.8. 
Left femoral neck T score was -0.2 with a Z score of -0.1. 
The right femoral neck T score was -0.3 and a Z score of -0.2. 
This is a 28 year old lady who is not past menopause so the WHO criteria are not applicable."