Multiple hernia repairs tomorrow (11.10.11)

maryc543
on 11/8/11 1:19 am
(History)   I had a 2 part DS in '06 and '07.  They were done lap, and I sailed right through.  2 years ago , my gall bladder went bad, I turned golden, and I was hospitalized via the ER for a removal.  Started out lap, changed to open, and then....  I went bad after surgery.  Apparently, there was an unnoticed nick in my bowel, and by the next day, I was in ICU going septic.  I was on dialysis from my kidneys shutting down, I had more surgeries to repair the first surgery, etc etc.  I was hospitalized for a month!  and on a wound vac for ever, it seems.
     Anyway, 2 years later, I need to go back to the hospital.  I have at least 6 abdominal hernias, some the size of softballs, some only golf balls, but they need to be fixed.  They swell and poke thru the muscles by late afternoon, or after a carb fest.  I put it off, but I've got to do it.  I know in my head that most hernia repairs are in and out, no complications, etc....but I'm scared witless.  Gall bladder surgery is supposed to be like that too.  I try to be positive, and it's not working.  Things in my life are going really well right now, I'm scared of Karma!  (I think I still owe the universe from the things I did ages 15 to 30  LOL).  
     I've investigated the surgeon I picked, he's got mad skills and a very low infection/complication rate.  I've read several meta-analysis (researchers compare numerous studies to come up with a consensus/best practice) and understand a mesh screen placement will be the better choice for the long run.  He's doing an anchor cut, and then the placement.  All I can think of is I'm being gutted like a fish....  Crazy, huh?
   Well, if you read this far, I appreciate it!  I feel better writing all my fears down, and identifying them.  I'm verbally positive to my family, boy friend, co-workers, etc, because why should all of us worry....  I'm doing enough for everyone!
      Thanks...  I'll try to get to a computer by Saturday and let you all know I was worried for nothing!!  Keep swinging those chickens!      Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

dtabor5
on 11/8/11 1:35 am
you have every right to be worried, anytime you have surgery you run risks... BUT with that said, in my heart, i know you are going to be okay. You have done your homework and researched your surgeon, and you know what to expect and how to heal and get better. I understand the part of not showing fear to family, co-workers, etc... I am the same way... I always right down my fears and concerns and then when it is all over i go back and re-read it and then DELETE it!

I am swinging kittens, chickens, puppy's, and anything else i can chase down and ready to send hugs for when you get home... when i had mine ( but then again i only had one) the thought of going back in just screwed with my head so badly, but you are going to feel so much better!! i even enjoyed the binder and was on a plane to the Florida Keys, 3 days after coming home... I understand Karma too, but I think she is going to smile on you!!! OH Take a couple of nice hot baths... it might be a while till you can again

Relax, make sure you have everything done for after wards, in case you don't want to cook or whatever, and then sit back get ready....

Fingers crossed and swinging things,
Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

maryc543
on 11/8/11 1:46 pm
Thanks!!    Wish I'd thought to plan my recovery in the Keys....  (dreaming of sitting in a loungechair next to the water.......)     Mary C

Yehuda G.
on 11/8/11 1:35 am
I was in the ER twice this past week with abdominal pain. Keshishian opened me up on friday and found  a massive hernia that he had to repair. The recovery hasn't been that bad. I hope everything goes well for you.

maryc543
on 11/8/11 1:47 pm
Sorry you had to go through this.....   Glad your recovery is going well!   Mary  C

* Nicole *
on 11/8/11 1:59 am

You will be fine but I'm going to say this.. my hernia repair was the worst thing ever!

My DS was open sailed through.
Even when my bilo limb twisted and landed me in the hospital for 3 weeks, wasn't painful.

Hernia repair...I had 3. 2 were golf ball sized (umbilical and about an inch above it both incsisional) the thrid also incsisional was in the very core of my body basically up near the sternum was 4"w 6"L. Yup I got meshed. And I can say finally 4 years later it doesn't bug me. But the pain was awful for me...because of the one in my core, the other two we didnt notice till we got in there. It took me 45 min to get out of the bed after surgery, it felt like I had no control over my legs. And if I pushed the muscles to move they immediately cramped up. I couldn't even breath normal a deep breath meant pain cramping and holding breath. I have killer pain tolerance (thats how my bilo twist almost killed me it only felt like a dull ache), but everytime it cramped up there I had tears pouring from my eyes. Hopefully you dont have one in your core, the others were never a problem and honestly they never hurt but this is comming from me. Not saying to scare you but letting you know either it will hurt or it wont. You should be ok if not in your body's core.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

maryc543
on 11/8/11 1:49 pm
Nicole,  I'd rather hear the personal experiences, even if they're not good....  it will help me be prepared.....    thanks for sharing,  and I'm glad you got through that!   Mary C

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 2:13 am
Hey Mary.  Just my experience:  Dr. Peters did my hernia repair, and used mesh across most of my abdominal area.  In his words, I tacked that sucker down good LOL.

It was performed lap.  My DS was performed open.

All that being said - the recovery was a *****    I honestly can say the pain was much more difficult than the DS itself and I was on pain meds far longer.  From what I understand, it's the healing of the mesh into whatever it's attached to and the nerves associated with it.  Now - it may have just been me....but oy. 

No complications, and knock on wood have had no issues with hernia since - but be sure to have adequate pain management and be prepared.  I hope that you have a completely different experience than I did!!!!

And an aside - I had adhesion and a bowel kink clean up a few years ago - Dr. Peters had to extend my DS scar - and I use the gutted like a fish reference quite often :)

Sharon 
maryc543
on 11/8/11 1:51 pm
Hey Sharon!  OK, so I won't be a hero....I'll use the pain meds in the hospital, and not be such a ass about that....   Oy!!!!     Mary C

Not yo business OH
on 11/8/11 5:48 am
Mary, I had my hernia repaired Sept.22. I am about 6 weeks out and doing fine. My hernia was about the size of a football. Dr. Sudan repaired it without mesh and my upper abdomen is really tight from where he joined the two sides. I will agree that the worst part is the pain management. My best friend was an abdominal binder! Pain meds make me itch like crazy, so after they took me off of the pain pump, the pain meds were pretty much useless. Most hernia repairs are out patient from what I can tell, but my stay was 3 days or so. I had a lot of scar tissue and my intestines were all tangled up in the hernia area. Best wishes and a speedy recovery. And like the other post states.....Nothing like being gutted like a fish! I have a gutted scar from my sternum down to about 2" below my weird belly button. My belly button is now weird! Go figure!

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)