I never thought about this until I read Poodles' post....

beth-28
on 11/7/11 1:06 pm
She mentioned that she had some pain med issues. I take percocet 10/650 as needed for an L5 S1 disc herniation. It's an injury I received 6 years ago. I am reluctant to have surgery to correct it because frankly, I don't like the odds that surgery will fix it....or just make things worse.

So, my question to anyone who has knowledge/experience with this issue is, will the pills no longer work (due to not absorbed correctly I guess) after my DS surgery?

Any insight is appreciated!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 8:45 pm
I've had no problems at all absorbing perocets or tylenol with codeine or oxycodine (the only ones I've had experience with since DS). I believe you will be fine since none of them are absorbed in the duodenum, but in the small intestine.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Kayla B.
on 11/7/11 9:42 pm - Austin, TX
I've had pain problems after all of my major surgeries.  Gallbladder/internal hernia/ovarian cyst surgeries were a walk but my DS and PS were painful.

I don't think either of this could be contributed to poor absorption of pain meds...I was in pain on the IV meds too. 

I could feel the narcotics kick in after my plastic surgery, I just felt like they wore off too soon.  I popped those suckers every 4 hours like clockwork...lol.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
raven81
on 11/8/11 12:58 am - Bloomington, IL
My doctors and I are pretty certain I have some serious issues absorbing many of my medications.  We have had to tweak and change many of my medications because they don't appear to be working, most likely due to not being absorbed properly.  We even had to switch to an IUD instead of birth control pills.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with the individual and the length of your common channel, the medications, and things like that.  But we are pretty sure that I am having extreme difficulties with adsorption of, well, everything.
www.geekmomblog.com -My Mom blog were I talk about my journey through weight loss & weight loss surgery, my kids, cupcakes, Star Wars & pretty much everything!         
Wenda C.
on 11/8/11 2:00 am - Combine, TX
This is a very "your mileage my vary" thing.  Before surgery I was pretty normal, meds worked without any problems.  When the complications showed up from my DS I was still in that place, I was just weeks out.  The further out I got, and the more meds I took, the less they worked.  To this day it takes usually twice to two and a half times a 'normal' amount of pain meds to work for me.  Any meds for that matter. 

For example:  I just went to the PCP for a headache that I've had for about three weeks.  She gave me hydrocodone 5/325 and amytriptiline 10mg  (sp?).  This is the woman I've explained to over and over again about my insides and my difficulty with pain meds.  I usually ask for liquid meds, but I just wasn't up to it that day.  When I woke up again with a headache Saturday morning and it didn't ease off by 10:00 I took the meds.  Six of them.  It eased off, but it did not go away.  I was a little more sleepy that day than usual, but was able to do all I needed to do around the house.

I am not the only one like this, I've spoken to others who have my same issue.  There is also the other extreme.  I have a DS friend who can take one benadryl and be out for most of the night.  Some who are sensitive before the DS are sensitive after, some change.  It's a crap shoot.  But that's just my opinion.

Now, about your back....You don't think surgery will make it better?  What about after your surgery?  Think about it.....I had C5/C6 fusion for herniation and spinal stenosis five years ago.  One of the best things I've done.  The pain is minimal now.  Such a difference.  You would never know I had problems.

Hope things get better for you.

Best of luck,
  Wenda
HW/DOS/Now
300+/273/156
Lap DS  2/3/03
Open Leak Repair  12/5/03

beth-28
on 11/8/11 5:22 am
I will be speaking to a neurosurgeon soon, but the last time I checked the odds were 50/50 that I would be helped vs. the surgery failing. I just don't think those odds are good enough. My back has worsened over the years, but it usually takes me about two-three weeks to adjust to the new pain, then it's tolerable....I use a tens unit by day (and function very well on it) and at night I use the meds if needed. I've always said that the day I can't get out of bed, that's the day I'll consider surgery. That day hasn't gotten here yet.

I am hoping that as I lose weight, the stress on my back will lessen, and hopefully the pain will lessen too. I'm just scared of someone using a knife (or other object) near my spine. I mean, even though I am in pain most of the time...it is tolerable for the most part controlled too. I can walk and function now. If someone sneezes during a delicate part of back surgery....well, I may not walk after that.

Yes, I know that's a little dramatic, but you never know. Let me get through the DS, and I may change my mind.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.