I RETURNED TO WORK TODAY AND......

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 4:55 am - ewing, NJ
 i was called into human resources and the Director wanted to know if my surgery was elected and if I chose to go get surgery as if its cosmetic!!!! I told him no it was medically necessary and I was actually correcting a previous surgery. I felt really violated and I even hear they were training one of my staff for my position. After I gave him the explanation he says Welcome Back!! The nerve of ppl!!! Just wanted to vent to you guys!!!
M. Miller
on 11/7/11 5:15 am
Ummmm....thats HIPPA information....I do not even think they have the right to ask that....at least that is how we are trained.  But I guess I really dunno, I am an engineer, don't do well with all that touchy feely HR stuff.     I'd be furious too but I'd tell him it was none of his business and he had the doctors not and doctor's release and that is all he needs.

Glad you are back to work so soon!  Makes us pre op newbies a little less nervous to see this.

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 5:22 am - Bayonne, NJ
People are unbelievably insensitive. My former director tried to tell the board my revision surgery was elective, even though it was correcting a potentially life-threatening condition. Nice to know it backfired on him, and he was fired for that and some big HR mistakes.
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 6:16 am - San Jose, CA
I would be SO pissed, I might spend a few bucks (and it might be free) to get a referral to and consult with an employment attorney to ask if the Director of HR was allowed to even ASK the question.  Presumably, you already had submitted your paperwork for the time off establishing that your surgery was medically necessary.  I don't believe he has right to know ANY specifics of your medical condition, only that your surgery was medically necessary, as established by your surgeon's note.

I would be LIVID.
Its a Secret
on 11/7/11 6:40 am
I'm so sorry this happened to you and I'm just about positive it was illegal. The last laugh will be yours when you find a better job and tell them where they can put theirs.

airbender
on 11/7/11 7:16 am

wow HR how completly stupid....

DarcyMad
on 11/7/11 7:55 am - Cedar Park, TX
I agree with Diana.  That is most DEFINITELY protected health information.  They are not allowed to ask that...and not just for professional purposes either.  Its none of their damn business.  I'd seriously consult an attorney.
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/7/11 8:01 am - Tuvalu

Well, THEY don't know what these words mean and I don't think you do either.

Yes, wls is "elective" surgery.  So are most hysterectomies, mastectomies, prostate surgeries, brain tumor removals...ANYTHING YOU SCHEDULE is an elective surgery because if you have time to plan it, it isn't an emergency.  You ELECT to have the surgery.  Elective surgery.

So what ISN'T elective?  Emergency surgery is not elective.  You get wheeled into the ER with something falling off and you are going to bleed to death right now or something will be broken forever, if you don't have surgery right now, to fix it.  This is NOT elective surgery.

The opposite of "elective surgery" is "emergency surgery."

Hernia repairs are elective.  Tubal ligations are elective.  Fixing this child's face is elective surgery:

But putting this guy back together is emergency surgery:

reattacharm3.jpg

HTH,

Sue

Renfairewench
on 11/7/11 8:45 am
Sue, the last pictures is really graphic and rather disturbing. Perhaps a disclaimer on your post at the top saying VERY GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING PHOTO'S TO FOLLOW.  Or something like that.

I seriously almost lost my dinner.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Renfairewench
on 11/7/11 8:48 am
As a NJ resident and someone who works in NJ, the bad news is that NJ is an AT WILL work state and employers need no reason at all to fire you from your job, deserved or underserved. Having said that though there are laws in place to protect the workerbees. One thing HR cannot ask is "was this an elective surgery."  I am assuming had you had plastic surgery and said yes you would be out of a job. As Diane said, you might want to look into getting a lawyer. I'd watch your P's and Q's at work too, because it sounds to me like they are reason hunting to get rid of you.  Been there....done that.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"