kahlana
on 11/8/11 9:52 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
It's definitely on my list of things to discuss with the pcp next week. :D

My Blog My Facebook

kahlana
on 11/8/11 9:53 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Definitely on my list of things to dicuss with my pcp when i see her next week.

My Blog My Facebook

Valerie G.
on 11/7/11 2:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
First of all, get off of the hate train.  You're human, you fall off track...you wipe the dust off of your fanny and get right back on track again...to do it without the self-loathing is much more refreshing, though. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

DianaRR
on 11/7/11 9:19 am - CA
It is great that you are trying to get ready for surgery by getting your good habits now. Don't worry about the past and just do the right thing going forward.
The cigarrettes will interfere with healing from your surgery and you don't want that.

NoMore B.
on 11/7/11 8:50 pm, edited 11/7/11 8:50 pm
 Keep your eye on the goal and focus on what you need to do.

About the smoking, I never smoked myself, but everyone else in my family did.  My mom and sister tired to quit for decades and couldnt, but Chantix helped them both quit, if that's an option for you.
kahlana
on 11/7/11 10:01 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Thanks Joanne!
I cant do Chantix but so far im doing better with the lozenges and inhalers. I know I will get this done. I have to the rest of my life depends on it. :)

My Blog My Facebook

Janet P.
on 11/8/11 3:54 am
I was a heavy smoker (2+ packs a day****il 3 years ago this thanksgiving (my DS was almost 9 years ago). I tried quitting many times over the years and discovered that the only way I could quit was when I was ready to quit. It was actually a doctor who said to me "you got your health back by losing 175 pounds, why in the world do you still want to kill yourself with cigarettes?" For some reason those words really hit me and that worked for me. Chantix worked for me but quite honestly, whatever you use will work if you are truly committed 100% to quitting. If you're not 100% committed, it won't work - no matter what you use.

Honestly, I still want a cigarette every day -- I really miss smoking -- I simply choose not to have one. Guess that's just something else I've learned about myself post-op.

As far as trying to adjust your eating pre-op to prepare for post-op, as others have suggested, there's really no way to understand what it's like to eat post-op until you're actually post-op.

Just remember that post-op you have to be committed to taking care of yourself - no matter what. This is not an option - your life is at stake.

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny