When you fall off the wagon

kahlana
on 11/6/11 10:05 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
What do you do to get motivated to get back on? I am pre-op. I am trying to get good habits going now so its not quite so hard when I actually have the surgery.

Because for a full month I totally didn't pay attention to my own health and ate whatever I wanted, forgot to take my meds regularly, slept very little and forget trying to quit smoking, Im back up to half a pack or more a day. Between a mad dash out to Wyoming to see my dying gramma and the rest of the freaks I call family, the new schedule at work, training, the sweet babboo's depression, and getting ready for hunting season, taking care of me has been the very last thing on my mind. I keep telling myself I need to ge back  to it but even though I put everything I need to do this at my fingertips I just can't seem to get back on track. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My Blog My Facebook

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 10:40 pm - Lancaster, OH
Not sure why you're trying to kill yourself with the cigarettes, but.....

It's that "taking care of myself is the last thing on my mind" thing that can get you very, very sick POST surgery.  Right now, not taking care of yourself just gets you fatter.  DustyDeer and BeemerBeeper have both posted within the last week (I think) about how easy it is to get sick when you neglect your nutritional needs.  Go look up those posts up and read them.

This surgery is a gift, even if you have to pay every penny out of pocket for it.  You need to straighten up your thinking about how you care for "gifts".

Signed,
Someone who didn't care for her gift early out and spent a year getting some semblance of health back.
kahlana
on 11/6/11 11:22 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Yes Ma'am you are definitely right about the "killing yourself with cigarettes" and thats my biggest concern right now. So when i go see my PCP next week I am back on the quitting thing and plan to ask her to change my anti-depressant back to one I KNOW helped me when i quit last time (2 years no cigs and I never thought twice about it.) as well as getting my prescription for the lozenges and the nicotrol inhalers updated.My surgeon requires that I am completely quit for at least 30 days before he does the surgery and I have 3 months left until D-Day. I WILL be quit completely bu the end of this month. I WILL... period end of story.

As for caring for my gift: thats why im here to learn to do it right from the get-go or don't do it at all. :D
thanks Caprice, i think might have been the kick in the butt I needed :D
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 1:31 pm - Lancaster, OH
Hope I didn't kick too hard, but I did want to get your attention.

In my opinion (for what that's worth), practicing eating the way you think you will eat after surgery isn't nearly as useful as practicing taking care of yourself, supplement and food-wise.

You might be completely surprised by your attitude towards food, particularly sweets, right after surgery, so that practice might be wasted (as in, you'll want nothing to do with sweets because they "taste" awful).  That's all I'm trying to say there.

And, I wish you total success with ending your relationship with cigarettes.  I understand that it's a difficult thing to stop, I know that I'm fortunate that I never started.

So.........  take care of yourself, mkay? 
NoMore B.
on 11/7/11 8:48 pm
 Caprice

In my opinion (for what that's worth), practicing eating the way you think you will eat after surgery isn't nearly as useful as practicing taking care of yourself, supplement and food-wise.

This is such an excellent point.  It's hard for people to understand exactly what it means until they go through surgery.  
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 3:31 am - Lancaster, OH
Oh, I had absolutely no clue what was going to happen to my brain after surgery.  Of course, it's varying degrees with people, but when my friend, who was a year out from her DS, tried to explain that your likes (or desires) for certain foods may change, I SAID I believed her, but I really didn't.

Fast forward to a month after my surgery, eating a spoon of Breyer's Vanilla Ice Cream With real Bean Flecks......  Oh My Gosh.  I couldn't eat a second bite, and nearly spit that first one out.  That has changed, of course, but only then did I "get" that things might be a bit different for me now.

Yeah, developing good habits concerning vitamins and fluids would have been much more helpful for me.
provolisa
on 11/7/11 1:00 am - Provo, UT
If you are on an antidepressant that you KNOW doesn't help you, stop beating yourself up, and get back on the right one! I know doctors sometimes like to change things to try whatever the latest salesman told them was better, or maybe you changed doctors. The thing is, that when you find an antidepressant that works, you need to STICK with it, because the fallout in your life can be really destructive when you are not at your best and wanting to take care of yourself.

Yes, you had some stressors lately. But LIFE has stressors. You need to keep yourself in good enough shape that you can take care of yourself FIRST and the stressors in life with as few problems as possible...

I am also someone who has really learned this the hard way!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

kahlana
on 11/7/11 10:05 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I wasnt on an antidepressant when I went on the Welbutrin. We were looking for something to help me get a handle on quitting smoking and Wellbutrin is supposed to do that. But I think I did better on the Celexa. So going to see if we can switch me back to that instead. Maybe that will help with the quitting smoking too :)

My Blog My Facebook

Jolly Rancher
on 11/8/11 10:55 am
Wellbutrin blew for me, in regards to the smoking (that's the only reason I was taking it)....Chantix worked MUCH better, but it was so tricky at the time and I won't bore you with the details....it just set my stomach on fire, but when I could take it, it really did help. I wish you the best of luck with smoking. I'm PO, smoke regularly (yes, killing myself) and can't deal with the fact that I really need to quit. I want to, but fall back into the "how much weight will I gain" if I quit smoking thing. I dunno. Obviously not an expert, just to say get rid of it before surgery and don't introduce it again, if at all possible!!!!!!!!!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
nightowl
on 11/8/11 3:22 pm - Topeka, KS
As far as I know, there's no need to give up the Celexa when you want to go back on Wellbutrin -- take them both if they each give different benefits.