One more reason to love hunting!

determineddanni
on 11/6/11 6:48 am
We have recently been using The House of Meats in Great Falls. I like them a lot if you going to be freezing most of it because they use air tight plastic wrapping. They also put labels on the front of the packages so you know what your grabbing. Because we get all types of flavoring like mexican, italian, kabasa, regular, and so on. They have a huge selection to choose from and you can taste test it while you there:)

But there is a place in Libby that makes killer cheese smokies and pepperoni sticks. I will have to find the name. nothin' special on the wrapping but just lovely food. Just a long way to haul it back to my home town:(
determineddanni
on 11/6/11 10:45 am
ooo that looks good, i just liked them on my facebook. i will have to give them a swing
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/6/11 10:53 am
Oooh, I've never had the pleasure of eating elk, so that's going straight on my "must eat" list.

How does it taste compared to beef, bison or venison?
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Elizabeth N.
on 11/6/11 7:49 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Elk, assuming you don't shoot a randy old bull, is a dark red, lean, marvelous meat without any of the gamey flavor associated with venison. In that regard it probably comes closest to bison.

Soaking a roast or little steaks/cutlets in milk before seasoning and preparing draws out any residual gamey flavor.

MsBatt
on 11/7/11 11:42 pm
But I LIKE the 'gamey' flavor!

My dad grew up relying on hunting and fishing to put meat on the table---and like me, he never thought he'd had a meal if there wasn't meat on the table.

We don't have wild elk around here, so I've never eaten it---but some folks recently started an elk farm! Impressive beasts, as are the fences necessary to keep them in.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/8/11 2:41 am - Burlington County, NJ
Well, then YOU can have the randy old bull :-p.

Do try some elk, even if it's farm raised. Now that you know it's much milder than other game meats, you won't be disappointed in that regard. I'd say the flavor is a bit more intense than bison (and certainly different), if you've had that.

MsBatt
on 11/8/11 4:59 pm
On November 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote:
Well, then YOU can have the randy old bull :-p.

Do try some elk, even if it's farm raised. Now that you know it's much milder than other game meats, you won't be disappointed in that regard. I'd say the flavor is a bit more intense than bison (and certainly different), if you've had that.
I might like the randy old bull. Or not. (*grin*)

I DO like squirrel, and I need to buy an air-rifle---the damned squirrels are all OVER my back yard. Little hairless Hiro thinks he's the Great Hunter 'cause he CAUGHT one. (He weighs less than Mom's CAT, and is a damned sight less capable, bless his heart.)

My nephew bow-hunts, and has brought down several deer---but I really want a wild turkey. I love farmed turkey, so I just KNOW a wild one would be ever so much better. Wild duck---to die for.

DO NOT ever try to eat a possum or a muskrat.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/8/11 9:47 am
Sounds like I would enjoy elk very much!
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

HeatherLynn
on 11/6/11 11:36 am - TX
 We just returned from the deer lease. Didn't get anything though. Everyone in our family hunts, and we try to keep our meat freezer stocked this way. Pretty certain we'll do it this year. Our daughter is actually the most avid hunter of all of us, going to a hunting camp every summer and winter. She goes in December and will harvest two white-tail does, and possibly a red stagg. 

This is a link to a video of her auodad hunt this summer. If it
s not okay to post this, please ler me know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Z_jOisuNM